2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Night Photography Tour - Day 1, Part 3 NYC

July 17, 2013

After wandering around our area of town looking for a good dinner, we ended up with a Subway salad and some chicken calzones that were more like Mexican chicken in a calzone.  We returned to Manhattan for the night photography tour.

 I thought the reflection on this building was cool, so I snapped this photo.  I did not realize until later when we took the tour that this is the UN building.  We were supposed to shoot it at night, but it was not lit up as it should have been for the best shots.

The best part of the night tour was working without a flash.  I really got some great night shots throughout the trip because of this tour, but I still have a long way to go.  

The goal here was to get the cars with the lights in a streak.  We spent way too much time on this.  I do not have a zoom lens, so my camera was not suited for this because the trees were in the way.  The guide and I fought with the tripod I rented for far too long, and the guide spent some time trying to convince Andy that I need a camera upgrade - that's not happening.

This was just a cool shot in front of this building, playing with lighting.


Grand Central Station - I loved shooting inside of the station.  It is far more beautiful than I ever imagined.



capturing the light reflecting on the Chrysler Building

inside Grand Central Station

 In addition to being in such a beautiful place, it was nice to be out of the heat.  It was above 90 degrees outside even after dark.


celebrating 100 years


I took this for fun and love the perspective.

This was really cool.  We used the light from a storefront to take a cool portrait.

street scene


Times Square

This is not a good shot, but with all the lights on Times Square, this one shows off how bright the street is even after dark.



I still have so much to learn, but I know this much which was affirmed again by the pro on the tour, to get good shots, you have to take lots of pictures.  I would say taking more than 700 pictures on one three day trip is a lot of pictures.  When I finally got to look at them on the computer, I trashed several but found some really good keepers - now I must decide which will be entered in the fair this year.

More to come, but it will likely be late next week before I can post again.


If you are planning a trip to NYC, and you like photography check out Citifari.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.