2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Monday, May 17, 2010

working with pastels -Savannah's turn

Savannah has put her new art supplies to use, and I must say that I am quite the proud mama when surveying the results.  My dad is a good artist, and Andy is quite good as well.  My mother-in-law is an art teacher, and sadly, I have zero artistic talent. My stick people are sad, so Savannah can easily impress her creativity challenged mom.  

She initially did not care for pastels but seems to be enjoying them lately. Savannah really likes this one which she did mostly to get a feel for working with pastels again.

I, however, love this one which is the view from her room window.
Just a little bit about our sweet Savannah.  Savannah is quiet and prefers not to talk much, but she can get on a roll and talk and talk and talk.  Teachers, parents who have volunteered in her classroom, and her AHG leaders have all told us that when Savannah raises her hand to speak, they call on her because they have found that when she speaks, it is going to be something worth hearing.  She is a straight "A" student and a perfectionist. Savannah gets frustrated with her school when her class percentages are not listed on the progress reports because she wants to be sure she won't get close to a "B."  It can be difficult to live with such a perfectionist.  When she was in fourth grade, her teacher accidentally marked a correct answer wrong on a daily assignment.  I acknowledged that the teacher made a mistake but pointed out that it would not make a difference in her grade percentage and told her not to worry about it.  I even pointed out that somewhere along the line, the teacher probably missed marking a wrong answer.  It quickly became apparent that Savannah could not let this go, so I had to e-mail the teacher who was very gracious and quick to say that she wanted to know if she made a mistake. 
This last piece was done for Julia, and I must say that I am quite impressed.

1 comment:

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.