We capped off our last night with a group dinner at Whataburger. In the past vacations have included an outing such as a dolphin cruise and/or a group dinner out at a seafood place. The budget has been too tight the last few years to make that happen.
The couples on vacation all managed a seafood dinner, but the kids and singles did not. Usually, the last night is one where we are trying to empty the fridge of the food that Dad over bought, but Dad was not there this year, and the food purchases were more reasonable. Dinner out had to be reasonable too.
Speaking of Dad, we were three miles from the nearest Wal-mart. He would have been so proud.
This vacation brought some changes. The two oldest cousins had to pay their own way. Because of that we were not okay with the usual pull-out couches for them - seemed unfair to pay your way and not even get a real bed. Finding a house to accommodate this group gets harder and harder every year. We love to include more family and close family friends. This year, my friend Kim stayed a couple of blocks away and on the same beach so that we could hang out. We will have to do it that way in the future and though we don't want to split up the kids, it may come to that. Next year, if we vacation together, it has to be much more affordable. I have a sibling out of work, and Andy and I have two kids in college and two in private school. Our next four years will be tough financially unless something miraculous happens.
I do not take a minute of vacation for granted. This one involved a lot of babysitting for Andy and me. Our van broke down and needed a battery. Andy desperately needed a time to pull away and rest. He did not get it, and I am looking for an affordable cabin on a lake for him to get away for a weekend and just regroup and spend some time with his Father. The demands of his job have pushed him to the edge, and I want to support him in any way that makes this doable.
![]() |
| How do you spell her name? F-U-N Kallie started this pointing game at the restaurant, and we had fun with it throughout the evening. |
The adults took turns cooking dinner for the group. Andy and Zach teamed up with a trip to the fish market for fresh seafood. Andy grilled the fish, and Zach made gumbo with fresh shrimp and crab. It was so good, and Andy says cooking with his son was his best memory of the trip.
I just want to add that our oven went out one night while dinner was cooking. While awaiting the maintenance crew to come and fix it, Andy made hash brown casserole on the grill. He even cooked Savannah's chocolate chip cookies on the grill. I married a resourceful man.



No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.