2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Monday, August 14, 2017

I am anti-protests!

I have been silent about Charlottesville while I try and wrap my head around what happened there and why it happened.  In the aftermath of that situation, I have decided that I am anti-protests.

It seems that protests lately have become avenues for vulgar and violent behavior.  They don't accomplish their purpose and just rally the troops for riots and behavior that leaves a lasting impression of damage rather than change. So this is my take on it.  If you have time to protest, you have time to...

clean up a neighbor's yard when they are struggling
read with a  struggling student
help refugees learn the culture and language of their new land
help renovate or build houses with Habitat for Humanity
help with clinics designed to give personal dental, medical and hygiene services to people in need
help a single parent (even if that is as mundane as bringing them toilet paper)
prayer walk in your community
go to the poorest high school and cheer for their teams, help launch tailgate parties for them
help with a special needs prom
play board games with the residents of a nursing home
and the list could go on and on

If you have the resources to travel for a protest, you have the option to
buy school supplies for students in need and/or pay their school fees and/or provide their uniforms/school clothes, shoes etc.
help supply your local food bank with needed items
buy blankets and gloves for the homeless
provide groceries for a needy family or single parent
send or deliver a meal to a struggling family
pay for a child who would not otherwise get to participate to play a sport
and the list could go on and on

As Jesus said the needy will always be among us.  We were designed to live in community, and it matters not what tribe or tongue, nor color of skin.  If you have the means to help people, then do it.

We can do better than this.  I can do better.  You can do better. We can all do better. This is America!!!

I just read this article:

94 Year Old Man Builds Neighborhood Pool

This, yes this! A million times, this!!!

 Stepping off my soapbox now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.