My dad loves his ten grandchildren.
He's generous with his six children and their spouses and children. He's also quite funny and loved very much.
From the moment Andy walked into fatherhood in the delivery room with Zachary, he has loved his children well. He knows them, protects them, provides for them, coaches, teaches and leads them. He takes their personalities into account.
Savannah and Andy have been known to do calculus together just for fun. What?! They both enjoy art and are incredibly smart. She's a daddy's girl.
Andy has spent countless hours volunteering in a variety of roles to support Zach's passion for football. Admittedly, Andy shares that passion. When Zach runs short on cash or desires his favorite meal which includes grilled salmon, Andy delivers.
Julia challenges Andy to races in the pool. She's competitive, and he supports her athletic endeavors. He admitted to cheating last night so that he could beat her in a free style race in the pool. She's another daddy's girl.
This is an older picture of Andy and Wyatt, but it's a classic. When Wyatt took a dip in the pond and did not realize he could stand in it, Andy had to go in after him. Wyatt once called Andy his hero, and when Wyatt needs encouragement, Andy is usually game for a trip to Smashburger or an Asian restaurant for a little comfort food.
A little side note regarding Andy's new role at work---he's discouraged, and we are still adjusting to the difference in family life. Just before starting this post, I was searching the web for affordable bed sheets. We are on opposite schedules, and I only have one set of sheets for each of the beds in this house, so I usually pull them all at once to wash. I cannot find a time to wash the sheets in the master bedroom now, so that's just another expense and adjustment that comes with this new schedule. It's amazing how the little things differ and pile up. We are still not sure what we will do about church. I think we will eventually switch to another service, or Andy will stop attending. We can't switch the kids, so they will likely go at a different time from us. It's just more work all the way around. Andy has longer hours, and he's exhausted. He's not new to this schedule. He worked it more than a decade ago, and it took a big toll on his health. After two weeks we are already seeing some of that return. I expected it. He's not as young as he was the last time he worked this schedule and has admitted that he's not sure he can sustain this, but he's stuck. So life is not all peaches and cream, but we've never been promised that it would always be good.
Happy Father's Day to two great dads! I realize that this day is not a celebratory one for many. Even as I type this, I know that there are men who long to be fathers, children who are fatherless, and families in Charleston, South Carolina who are facing terrible and raw grief over a senseless crime. It's great to honor dads, but for those who cannot celebrate today for whatever reason, you are not forgotten, and my hope is that you can find joy today.




No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.