2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Friday, May 23, 2014

Senior Walkout 2014


Today ended Zach's thirteen year run as a Christian Academy student.  The seniors walked throughout the school.  Those who attended CAL in elementary school started in the elementary school.  They picked up those who started attending in middle school and walked the halls of the middle school with them and finally walked the high school all together.  They exited the building to join their families on the great lawn as a symbolic expression of leaving their high school for the last time and beginning the adventure that lies ahead in their lives.


Zach personally finished the year with a last lunchtime hurrah.  During a moment when it got quiet, he stood on his chair, yelled Hurrah or something to that effect, and smashed his tea can on his tray.  I am so proud (typed while rolling my eyes).  He also started the day by harassing a teacher he loves to harass.  Savannah happens to be in her first period class.  He stopped by and asked the teacher if she liked his shorts (he made them himself in home economics class) and told her that Savannah is his sister (she knew that).  The other antics included in this day were putting his English teacher on his shoulders and supposedly making a girl cry.

We joined the families on the great lawn for what we thought would be a cry fest, but there were actually few tears.  I guess Zach is right- this means graduation will be Niagara Falls.



The seniors trash or ditch their uniforms on the last day.   The girls get really creative with their skirts.  One parent said that his daughter and her friends did not sleep at all last night as they worked on their skirts.  Another parent commented that it had been an obsession for her daughter too.  They all ended up being really cute.



Classic Trevor and Zach

Had Zach chosen another college, these two would have possibly roomed together.  I was very surprised that he did not go that route.

friends since elementary school

time capsule


catching up with a middle school teacher

Their last day of school together after many years on this campus.




Back when Zach was in preschool and we were making that hard school decision, I felt like God said to me: If your overriding goal for your kids is that they walk with me, why send them into a training ground that lasts most of their day where I am not included?  Thus launched years of Christian schooling where we have met amazing families whom we call friends and family.  It required a lot of sacrifice.  At one time we thought for sure that at least one of the kids would have to leave, and I remember searching the scriptures for answers on what to do.  I came across Proverbs 4:7 where the advice is to get wisdom, and if it cost all you have get understanding.  I know that wisdom comes from knowing God and His precepts, and I felt that the kids needed to stay in the environment where they were learning these things daily.  This last couple of years, I thought schooling was going to cost us all we had and still worry about that going forward, but we decided long ago to educate our children with eternity in mind.  We have all given up a lot for this, but we have also gained so much.

Just this week someone left an envelope in the school office for Zach.  It contained a note that said, "Looking out for you....God."  The envelope also contained $200.  We are so very grateful for this amazing act of kindness.  If it was you; many, many thanks.  Zach really needed tennis shoes.  This will more than cover that expense.


Zach hoists Mr. Krebs, his English teacher, onto his shoulders.  I did not actually witness this, but one of his friends posted it on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.