I visited a mall every weeknight last week. That's what happens when you start shopping a week and a half prior to Christmas - even when your normally modest Christmas is being scaled back. On Thursday night, Julia had gymnastics. A mall I rarely visit is close to the gym, so Zach and Savannah joined me for the trip out to the gym so that we could shop while Julia flipped. For those in my local community, the J-mall has a spectacular ornament shop - well worth the trip out there even if you just browse for fun. While we were gone, Andy ran a short errand. We arrived home to find Wyatt in a sad state. He had Zach's football CD, a keepsake sharing the slideshow from the banquet, firmly planted on his middle finger. How did this happen?
Wyatt's story went like this: I was watching a video, and I got distracted, and the CD ended up on my finger.
Sigh
only Wyatt
We couldn't help but laugh, but this really was not funny. Zach, being the loving brother he is, shared the possibilities - saw through the CD, emergency room visit, cut off the finger. Oh boys! Wyatt's finger was swollen, and WD-40, soapy water, butter, peanut butter, ice, and Ibuprofen all failed to change the situation as we tried to save the CD. Andy arrived at home and snapped the CD in two. I think I am far more disappointed than Zach that it had to come to that though Andy is contacting a coach about a replacement.
Fortunately, Wyatt suffered no permanent damage. In fact, when I picked up from school on Friday, we had a conversation that went like this:
me: How's your finger?
Wyatt: It's great! It's like new, except it's not, because I have had it for eleven years.
I instantly mentally recorded that comment from Wyatt. I mean that's just great, right? A bit witty, don't you think?
Today, I had a very different conversation with Wyatt - one that reveals how thoughtful he is.
Wyatt: I can't believe you had a baby that died before it was born and never got to see any of the world.
This surprised me. We don't talk much about this, so I did not know Wyatt knew.
My response: Actually, I had two.
This surprised Wyatt.
Wyatt: So you would have had six children?
Me: We do have six children. Two of them just don't live here.
Wyatt: Where do they live?
Me: With God
Wyatt: How can that be if they did not live long enough to accept Jesus into their hearts?
I am so glad you asked.
We then launched into a discussion about the age of reason.
Wyatt talked about how jealous he is that we know these things and he does not. You can know these things, I told him. Read your Bible and ask about things that perplex you.
This boy always amazes me.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.