It has occurred to me, in part because of e-mails I have received, that I need to update some things on the blog that have been left hanging, so here I go.
My Eyes
I awoke Monday with eyes that seemed to be back to normal in both comfort and vision. On Tuesday I was able to get a new left contact. Sunday was rough, and I can't be sure, but I do think the eye patch offered some help. I admit that there was some encouragement from my mother to go to the ER, and there were moments when that was where I thought I was headed. However, I did not want anyone messing with my eye. Thanks to everyone who prayed for me on that one.
The Dishwasher Saga
Yes, we caved and called a repairman. No, the dishwasher still doesn't work. On the positive side, I am a better dishwasher than a machine. I know you are thinking that is good to know. I am frustrated with this situation as the repairman originally came last week and had to order a part. He was to return on Tuesday to install said part which UPS delivered to our door the week before. On Tuesday Zach and Savannah had physicals scheduled. Rescheduling is a pain, so my dad drove my mom over to our house (my brother had borrowed their second car) and went to his own doctor's appointment. My mom received the call that the repairman wasn't coming. Yep, we rearranged everything that day for no repair. I am guessing there was a true emergency, but what really made me mad was that the next appointment is next week. Really? You cancel on me and can't get back to my house the same week? GRRR! I let them know this is unacceptable, but truly my hands are tied as I have already payed for the repair. GRRR again!
The Job
Yes, I got the job. It does look like a fun place to work. However, three jobs is a little much. I do consider my job as a parent my first full-time job. I am discovering during my time off this summer that I can completely fill my days with keeping up with my kids and my house, and it does make me long to be a stay at home mom. However, we truly need my income, and it gives my kids the opportunity to receive a Christ-centered education. Our main goal for our kids is that they follow Christ, so this is of high importance to us.
The hike in tuition was the catalyst to seek a second paying job. I really only applied at two places and felt if I was going to sacrifice 10-15 hours a week away from my family, I should do it in a place that is fun. Summer was already underway, so I figured narrowing this job search to two places was a long shot. However, I prayed and said I would walk through the door if it opened. I figured if it didn't open, God had another plan for provision. The door opened and left me with mixed feelings. The schedule is set, and I am a Friday night person. If Zach ever makes it onto the field for varsity football, his mom won't be in the stands to cheer him...not that I know anything at all about football, but I am his mom! I am sure he will dress for the varsity games, so I will certainly miss that. I will also work Saturday and Sunday every other week. With my other job, this means 14 days in a row of work followed by two off. It also means 12 hours away from my family without counting travel time on the weekends I work.
In all honesty this job also came as a result of the cuts. We have cut and cut and cut to the point where I just said "no more." Maybe I am wrong to do this, but it was cut the cable, cut the Y membership, cut camps, cut out of town trips for sports, cut necessary repairs on the house, cut replacing bedding, cut replacing furniture, start monthly date nights, cut monthly date nights, cut scrapbooking, cut having pictures printed, cut buying school pictures, cut planned family trips to amusement parks, cut giving, cut the possibility of occupational therapy for the two kids who need it, cut the visit to the surgeon this summer, cut retirement saving and assume retirement is no longer in the equation, cut, cut cut. Give up most dreams. No, we don't need any of these things to survive, and it sounds like a lot. However, what I don't mention is the things that were never a habit of ours such as hiring a sitter (have done that twice, I think) or eating out as a family on a regular basis (we do have fast food about three or four times a year).
I know some will think this is insane, but the fact is that I continue to receive affirmation that keeping Julia at her current school is the right choice. The schedule looks daunting, but I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.