On Thursday July 8th, Wyatt and Julia left home for church camp. It was their first overnight outside of family. They were so excited and then so upset when we hit a glitch. We sat in stopped traffic for forty minutes and arrived at camp more than 45 minutes past our anticipated arrival time. I was frustrated. They were frustrated. It was not what I anticipated for their first camp experience.
As you can see, all was well once we hit the camp.
They got a private shuttle on the covered wagon to their bunkhouses.
At pick-up I think you can see by the look on Wyatt's face that camp was a success.
Clearly, Julia had a good time too.
We were in a hurry to get home as there was much to do in preparation for Andy's arrival from China, but I couldn't resist pictures with the gorgeous lake in the background.
In the days leading up to camp, Julia and Wyatt asked important questions such as: Will there be food? Will there be bathrooms? I told them that church camp is a fasting camp and that the bathroom involves the woods and a shovel. I think Julia was on to me, but Wyatt kept saying, "I can't believe there is no bathroom." I did fess up a few hours before we left for camp.
Camp held all the fun of church camp with creative, amazing, silly, and crazy youth leaders. They went on a scavenger hunt, played games, made a craft, had a campfire, and swam in the lake. Neither seemed as impressed as Zach did at their age, but he told them it would be the best time of their lives. Sometimes anticipation that big is simply impossible to meet. When they learned that they will not be able to attend the same camp next year, there was some hesitation. However, they both decided that they could live apart long enough for camp.
Our only casualty was Wyatt's craft and his care package that never made it home. Somehow he came home with the clearly marked camera of another camper. Oops!

No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.