This is a rare post from Andy instead of from my lovely bride, Tamara. I've spent a week in Shanghai and am heading to Shenzhen tomorrow to spend a couple of days before going on to Hong Kong .
Being here for work is much different than being here for adoption. In all cases, though, my Chinese hosts have given me quite a welcome and inviting time. I've been treated to the best of cuisine from Shanghai , and actually, when I went for a chicken sandwich from McDonalds, I experienced the worst digestion on the trip!
I didn't get a picture of 'grandma's sweet pork,' but it was a taste from home—slow roasted pork in a sweet sauce…one step away from good ol' Kentucky barbecue! The veggies and the soups have been great, too, and my chopstick handling, though unorthodox by Chinese evaluation, still got the job done.
We went to Suzhou today and saw a beautiful rock garden, a woman brushing her teeth with dirty river water, a temple and a silk factory. I was disappointed to be leaving my ripening tomatoes back home, but we were treated to some fabulous stewed tomatoes and eggs and tomoato & cabbage soup. The food here in the Shanghai area has been crazy good compared to Beijing , but I am looking forward to getting down south to the Cantonese cuisine and that wonderful dim sum!
Hun hao!






love these pics, esp the second one! :)
ReplyDelete