2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Tea with Mom

We finally made good on our Mother's Day plans, and took my mom for tea today.  Yes, tomorrow is Father's Day, so we are a bit behind, but that is not unusual in this family, and jobs and illness delayed our celebration.  We had a lovely afternoon tea feasting on scones, small sandwiches, truffles, cookies, and gingersnaps.  Of course, we also enjoyed tea, and Savannah even found that she likes some hot tea.  Julia stuck to pink lemonade.  Our server seemed to rush us a bit, so that was a challenge.  I am not sure if she needed the table or is just new.  I know that new servers often don't have the best timing on wrapping things up or remembering to let the guests have some time to enjoy each other and their food.  The real downer today was that Tiffany and Danielle could not join us, but Mom had a good time anyway.  Happy Late Mother's Day, Mom!
Julia and Tara refused to wear hats.  They are such party poopers!
Savannah, Tessa, Mom, and I did choose hats for the occasion. 
Our Week in Review
We are certainly feeling something here, attacked, strained, frustrated, and sometimes downright scared!  On Sunday before leaving for church I ran the dishwasher and was certainly surprised to find it running when we returned. I started it in plenty of time for it to finish or be pretty close to finished before we even left the house that morning.  We found it running hours later than it started later that same day and soon discovered that it is broken.  Andy's Internet diagnosis is that we have a stuck button.  How to unstick that button is any body's guess as everything we have tried has failed.  You guessed it! We have done plenty of dishes by hand this week, and two days we were without a kitchen sink as Andy replaced a leaky pipe. During that repair process, the kitchen just remained trashed...ick! That pipe still leaks, so Andy has to go back in and tweak this repair. 

By the end of the week, we were also facing a broken drawer on a bathroom cabinet.  The cabinet was bought three years ago with the intent that it would be temporary though the timing on this loss stinks. We will continue to make due with the cabinet.  So Andy gave up on the dishwasher and told me to call in a repairman.  Yeah, well, as I struggle with our much tighter budget, luxury verses necessity are starting to blur.  Yes, the dishwasher is the most used appliance in the house, and yes we do hang on to some luxuries (such as sports), but really, do we need a dishwasher?  I am thinking the repair can wait.  I have to consider that within two months, we will have to supply the kids for school, get uniforms that fit, and register Savannah and Zach for sports which is certainly pricey.  It is very tempting to axe the sports.  I mean they are truly luxuries, but it is hard to keep Zach from one area where he has found success, self-confidence, physical fitness, and passion.  Savannah asks for so little.  She only wants to play field hockey, so I think the dishwasher will wait.  Of course it will wait, it isn't going to fix itself (bummer), and I am not entitled to a machine to do the dishes.  Of course my vain concern is that doing dishes by hand will quickly age my hands (lol)!  I might add that I am really not trying to be whiny on the blog, just real.  Yes, our appliances break, and we have frustrations, but we have lots of highs too.  This is life!

1 comment:

  1. never whiny, always real! ;) i would definitely axe the sports in lieu of the dishwasher, but i'm NOT a patron of sports at all. :) i hope your hands can take it! :) everyone has different priorities. :) less dishes by hand is definitely one of mine. actually even with a dishwasher still seems we have a ton of hand-wash items so really don't think i could consider not having a dishwasher in my life. :)

    love the pink hat and that you did it no matter how late. we're late for everything too, but when we do whatever it is we try to do it right so it seems to turn out just fine most times. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.