2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summer Fun

Julia won the crazy hair contest last week at gymnastics with her orange hair spray and crazy ponytails (her idea).  She got to choose this week's contest and decided on crazy toenails.  If you click on the picture, you might be able to see that her name is spelled out on the toes of her right foot.
In other news we caved and have someone coming to look at the dishwasher next week.  Since we have no idea how old the dishwasher is, we are hoping it is worth repairing.

While we could use some appliance mercy here, one thing I have been doing avidly this summer is reading.  If you have a heart for orphans, or if you need a heart, I highly recommend The Boy from Baby House 10.  It tells the story of a boy who almost got lost in unthinkable circumstances in Russian institutions.

If you are fan of Little Women, I recommend the new biography on Louisa May Alcott written by Harriet Riesen.  It is well-written and well-researched, and for an English major like myself the added bonus of learning more about Emerson, Hawthorne and Thoreau in regard to their relationships with the Alcott family is worth exploring. 

Burned Alive is a harrowing true story of a woman whose brother in law poured gasoline over her and set her on fire.  It was to be an honor killing for her family, but she survived.  Her story is amazing and a glimpse into a culture we can't begin to understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.