2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

a money saving tip for moms

The last thing I want to do right now is think about school, but I must. Within a few short weeks, stores will stock their shelves with school supplies and try and beat each other with the lowest prices we will see on these items.  Moms will try to beat each other to the stocked shelves and stock up for an entire school year.  Fortunately, I have a supply list already for two of my kids and can get a general idea from the school website for a third child.  High school is different, so I suspect we will see Zach's list only after he receives his schedule.  Therefore, I imagine we will be paying much higher prices for most of his stuff. UGH!

I do know that every list will include a backpack, and for most of the kids, this will be the most expensive item on the list.  I found a solution for this years ago.  I let each of my children choose a character backpack for kindergarten.  We all know that there is no way that these backpacks will last two full school years and may not even last one. However, the excitement of starting school earns a treat in a special backpack.  After kindergarten, I allow my kids to choose an l.l. Bean backpack, and I admonish them to choose wisely as this will be the backpack that takes them through fifth grade.  Yes, they are disappointed from year to year about the fact that they will not get the latest character backpack at a price tag of $12-$20, but they get over it quickly. Upon entering sixth grade, they can choose a new l.l. Bean backpack.  At this point Zach's sixth grade backpack is still going strong, so I am not sure at what point it will be replaced.  All of this to say that, yes, l.l. Bean has pricey backpacks, but they are worth the money.  Savannah and Wyatt both received new backpacks last year, and they still look brand new.  For about $35.00 a backpack, we are getting five years of daily use out of these backpacks.  After five years, they are still in great shape for packing for sleepovers, overnight trips or trips to Grandma's.  Actually, Zachary had managed to poke a small hole just big enough for pencils to slide through on his elementary backpack. Otherwise, it would have still been in great shape for school.  Savannah's elementary backpack would have been fine for school as well.  I let them choose again because we do try and get elementary backpacks that are an appropriate size for lower elementary school, and embroidered geckos just aren't as cool in middle school. We do spring for the $6.00 monogramming so that the backpack is easily identified on a school shelf.  I am not always frugal, but I do think this has really been a money saver for this family.  Julia's backpack was ordered today.  It was on sale, and I found a coupon code online to cover the shipping.  In the end with monogramming, I paid $25.00 for her backpack.  It will pay for itself in two years, and if history repeats itself, the other three years will be a bonus.

2 comments:

  1. Do you get the junior size or regular size? Thanks for the tip, I am not a real big fan of the cartoon ones and have found the cheaper ones do break easily.
    Hope to catch up with your blog posts and maybe update mine someday- ran into the Bowens at Niklas' five year appointment today. They live around the corner, but we met in China!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.