2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Another Christmas Celebration and a Brand New Year

Christmas break brought us:

A basketball victory for our favorite college team.  Julia spent the night prior with her friend L and stayed to watch the game with her family.  L's mom promised to be good for the game.  Ha!! I am not worried about her.  Julia is quite the obnoxious little wildcat :)


The temporary tattoo remains in place all these days later.  We celebrated victory weekend at church on Sunday, and Julia continued to celebrate a basketball victory.

Julia received make-up for Christmas.  She has some surprisingly long eyelashes that can only be seen with mascara.  Who knew?  I certainly didn't.



Wyatt celebrated his baptism. During victory weekend we honor those who joined the church or were baptized over the last year.


Julia's elementary class continued a long-standing Christmas break tradition with an afternoon of ice skating, so hard to believe that this is their last year.



The winter ball this year is a masquerade, so Savannah spent some time this break planning and creating her mask.  She is not yet finished, but a little bit a day will get the job done.






We found a penguin and polar bear cookie cutters on clearance.  How could we resist as they are Savannah's favorite animals? Savannah finds funny penguin videos to be very good stress relief...so if you are in need of stress relief, you might give that a try.  Despite the fact that Christmas was over, Savannah could not resist the opportunity to put these finds to use with gingerbread and sugar cookies.


Wyatt gathered some friends for a pizza buffet and some arcade fun.  Even though the boys knew Wyatt but not each other, they really hit it off.  A blast was had by all - okay Mom may not have had a blast on this one, but she took the opportunity to enjoy some skeeball and one on one time with Julia.  Julia has enjoyed three sleeps away from home this break.  We do so miss her when she is gone, and her social calendar could be a full time job.  



We enjoyed a family shopping trip where Zach appeared to be on sale for 50% off.  Julia walked on her hands down the aisle, and Wyatt started a random dance in the shoe aisle.  Shopping fun for all.

Zach returned from school broke. He's spent much of his break working and returns to school in just a few days.  He has seen a couple of movies but has yet to gather with friends at all.  Therefore, we have agreed to open the house to a potluck gathering for his friends this weekend.  Zach quit the football team and has been reaching out to coaches at other schools.  Hopefully, he will apply to other options during the next few days.


We gathered last night for our last Christmas celebration -this time with Andy's side of the family.  We feasted on homemade Chinese and Mexican foods.  We played a game directed by Andy's mom as she distributed homemade gifts to all. We enjoyed a close game of Apples to Apples with the victory going to Julia and watched the ball drop.

We missed Mitchell. Our older teens have their own lives.  Page and Savannah left to ring in the new year with friends.

The tree made it. We were not sure it would survive through Christmas much less a week later, but it has stayed a pretty green though the branches are quite droopy.  The ornaments and Christmas decor will return to boxes and storage in the next few days.



Shiloh seemed to enjoy the freedom brought by a house full of people and the love shared with her.  However, it was clear to all that her hip is definitely a problem for her.


A sword fight got a little scary with a game board laid out and a tree full of breakables. 



The younger cousins camped in the living room over night.


Julia's text version of a Christmas verse from Isaiah remained until this morning.


Jules also enjoyed the attention.  Pam and Mike were ready to take her home with them.  We were ready to let them :)  I have decided that since I can no longer buy gifts for my mom, I will honor her for Mother's Day, her birthday and Christmas by making sure the dog she adored is groomed.  


As a family and individuals, we have been pondering a word for this year as we have been encouraged to do by our minister.  I am leaning toward Presence.  I need courage, and I need to be fully present with my Savior and in my relationships.  

Today, my Bible app verse of the day was as follows: 
Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.  Isaiah 43:19

I needed that.  I needed a reminder that He will make a way in the wilderness.  When it seems hopeless, God will make a way.  He will provide rivers in the desert.  My kids have taken to asking for bedding for Christmas because we simply cannot replace worn bedding, but God provides. Julia received a comforter set for Christmas and originally planned to spend her money on coordinating bedskirt, sheets and pillows...then she saw the price tags.  Savannah received enough in a combination of a gift card and cash to purchase a comforter set she likes. Just today, Andy acknowledged that he feels like he is suffocating. I get it.  I do too, but we have all we need. I can rest in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.