Nobody likes a whiner, so I warn you not to read this post if you don't want to put up with whining.
I am entering week three of a trial I never expected and could certainly leave off of future plans. Exactly a week ago today after a week of pain, I was diagnosed with lower back muscle spasms. By the time I succumbed to seeking medical help, I could barely dress myself. Forget about shoes and socks. Within two days of medication, my pain was much better, but I found a new problem. In my attempt to compensate for my aching back, I created another problem which resulted in shooting pain from my lower back to my knees. I tried everything initially. I tried working out and stretching my back. I tried resting (as much as that is possible with a full time job and busy household). Nothing short of muscle relaxers worked.
On Sunday when my new pain reached its peak, I left church early and immediately called my doctor. I knew that I had promised a shopping trip for Operation Christmas Child to the kids, and I planned to take a few hours to actually ice my back. Monday was only slightly better, and today only a bit better than yesterday. My doctor told me that if it was more than muscle then I could be in for a complicated and long treatment plan. I am still holding out hope that this is not my sciatic nerve, or that my current treatment will soon yield much better results. I certainly don't want to return to the doctor. We have not met our deductible, but we have depleted our FSA, so I could not afford the first visit much less more or an addition of PT.
In the end this certainly brings perspective. My dad recently had problems with his sciatic nerve. I have a new sympathy for what he endured. I have watched my husband who already works hard at his job and then comes home and works hard for his family take on even more responsibility because of my limited mobility. Prior to this setback, I was on a roll with my workouts and on target to finish 150 Jazzercise classes by the end of the year. I think that train just left the station. While it could be worse, this is a reminder that I take my health for granted. My kids have been very good helpers during this time. They can drive me crazy with their messiness and laziness, but when the need is great, they rise to the occasion.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.