2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Random Pieces that make a life

Thus far this week:

We celebrated the Superbowl with about 20 teenagers, my friend Kim, and her two kids.
Zach asked to have a few pals over for the game.  Savannah opted not to have friends over because she actually likes football and knew her friends would rather hang out than watch the actual game.  So, we told Zach to ask his friends to bring a snack to share, and we would open the house to them.  They showed up, sat on top of each other in our living room and brought more food than they could eat.  Many refused to take the leftovers home, so now we need to have a party to get rid of the food left from the party.  Seriously.


I believe we had only one Seahawks fan in the bunch, but the Broncos fans had each other, so they still had fun.  I hope.  Originally, Andy and I were going to a party with plans to let Wyatt and Julia chaperone the big kids (nothing gets past them).  However, when we learned the number of kids coming added to the fact that it was a mixture of boys and girls, we cancelled our plans.  We still had a great time.

Julia and Wyatt entertained G and B.

B came because he loves football.  Unfortunately, he was too intimidated by the crowd to sit with the boys and watch the game.  Zach's buddy T is as good with kids as anyone gets, and he could not convince B to sit with him for the game.

Andy has been a Broncos fan since the 80's, and he was thrilled to see them go to the Superbowl.  We really tried to root them on to victory that night.  What happened?

 I confess that a Sunday night party had me worried.  I have to get up really early for work, and I am very stingy with my sleep.  As it turned out, the Superbowl ended at an okay time to still face down a five day work week (rare these days with the weather we've been having). Most of the kids left well before the game was over because our road conditions were quickly deteriorating with fast falling snow. As it turned out, I did not have to work on Monday.  We got our 6th snow day.  I am starting to think I have to say goodbye to June as this may very well be the never-ending school year.

Kim had to head home with her kids (a three hour drive) as she did have to go to work on Monday.  Unfortunately, they ended up stranded in town for the night.

Monday was a day of making progress on those New Year's goals.

The kids were forced joined me in folding and purging socks from three full baskets in the basement. I also sorted clothes and got rid of a bunch.  If every sock counts, I  may have already met my New Year's goal of purging 365 things from the basement.  Andy hit it hard last night and this morning.  He also purged a bunch of junk.  Woohooo!!  We have much more to go, but we also have very visible progress.

While folding socks we enjoyed lots of laughter.  I have been placing hearts with messages to each family member on their bedroom doors for the past few days.  I spent two afternoons last week preparing enough to last through Feb. 14 for each of them.  They are in random order, so yesterday's offering to Wyatt said "I am praying for your future bride."
Wyatt was offended.  Savannah said it sounded like said bride needs lots of prayer because she will be marrying Wyatt (later when repeating this to Andy, Andy jokingly stated that those extra prayers are for Zach's bride).  Anyway, Wyatt informed me that he doesn't expect to marry as he is not the marrying type.  He then revised that and said he will marry at 40.

Julia, on the other hand, has grand plans.  She plans to meet her future spouse on a mission trip in Australia.  She expects him to propose to her while on an elephant ride.

Who knew just folding socks could be so enlightening?

Later Julia laid down on her back on the couch and put her arms and feet in the air.  She told me that her pet hamster, Sadie, was in that position in her cage.  Julia asked if Sadie was dead.  I could not help it.  I turned so that Julia would not see me chuckle.  Julia thought it was funny.  She even googled what dead hamsters look like to be sure.  Julia took it well, but alas, poor Sadie is no more.  I have no idea what caused her to die so young.  She was only about 8 months old.  Fortunately, Julia does not intend to replace her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.