It was almost time to leave work on Friday when I was trying to fix our account with our local newspaper that I first learned of the horrific event that unfolded in Newtown that morning. I knew better than to watch the coverage on the news. It would undo me, and I still need to press on with daily responsibilities. However, I did anxiously wait for the time to come that I could pick my own kids up from school and squeeze them tight.
We are open with our kids and answer their questions honestly when bad things happen. This time we reacted differently. We cannot risk crippling our children with fear, and what child would not be afraid after hearing of this awful event? So we turned off the television. Wyatt caught enough of the news to know what happened. When he asked we told him that adults must carry this burden, and he should not worry. He seemed okay with that and went on about his day. Julia knew something was up, but we responded the same way. Something terrible happened, and the adults will carry this burden. You do not need to know about it. She pressed us, but her siblings shielded her from the reality.
I am stunned, horrified, and carrying a heavy heart for the community of Newtown. I hurt for the families who should not be burying their loved ones the week before Christmas. I ache for the children who witnessed what no child or adult should witness. I am convinced that many are asking where a loving God is in all of this. That is a hard question to answer.
However, as we talked this over at church on Sunday, I found myself questioning the conversation which left us with only the hope of Heaven. Yes, we live in a fallen world, and it really hurts to live here a lot of the time. Yes, I get physically ill when I think of the terror faced in that school building last week. Yes, thousands of children die every day, and our world has seen such evil as child soldiers and child trafficking along with a myriad of other terrible things that our enemy uses to draw us away from God. Even in all of that, however, I can't help but remember that Jesus said He came so that we might have abundant life, and I think he meant that for this world not just for Heaven. I remember that God has promised that if His people will humble themselves, pray and turn from their wicked ways, He will hear us and heal our land.
We need that healing. Don't miss this. We need that healing, and we have been told what to do to have it. I am so guilty of not doing my part. Let's commit to this as we continue to do the only thing we can to help a hurting community - cry out to our Father on their behalf, and let the Holy Spirit groan for them in their pain.
Prayers for the Mommies
No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.