Today would have been my mom's 61st birthday. I miss her all the time and have pondered for months how to honor her today. Wednesdays are packed here. For several weeks, I thought we would have ice cream, a favorite treat of Mom's. Our group of 7 boys meet here on Wednesday nights, so I considered a sundae treat and asking the families to send toppings if they want. I think we may still do that only I never requested the toppings. I guess I have some shopping to do.
I can't remember a time when my mom wasn't my best friend. She would have been the first one I called to share Julia's latest funny comment or Wyatt's latest accomplishment. She would have been my advisor on Zach's injury, and she would have loved to see the art that Savannah churns out continuously. She would have cheered them all on in their various endeavors. Mom put others first, but her feelings would have been hurt if her birthday was forgotten. I don't think I can forget it now even if she isn't here for it.
Wyatt suggested a visit to the cemetery, and I would make that happen except that it is a 45 minute drive. Believe me I considered getting everyone out of school early and making it happen before the boys arrive. However, Savannah does not want to miss what may be her last practice with the field hockey team. Sigh. Mom never worried about the date as long as the celebration was close, so maybe we will do something tomorrow.
I wish I could say that the last few months have been lived in the peace in which she lived her last year. However, if I tell the truth, my faith has been rocked pretty hard. It is probably obvious on the blog as I rarely refer to it any more. I just keep doing life and going through the motions when I have to. Yet, it is all still strangely surreal, and maybe there is peace in that after all. I remember she said that we would all have to deal with it in our own way. I guess we do.
Mom's 60th Birthday Celebration
No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.