2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Blogger Upgrade

This post is for my bloggie friends, especially those who are fairly new to blogging.


I knew it would happen, and I sort of had a plan.  However, it happened right in the middle of my vacation posts...specifically when I went to post Savannah's art work.  I ran out of picture space in my Picasa album.  It happened to my friend Allie a while back.  This left me with a few options.


Plan A was to start a new blog with a different e-mail address, but timing is everything, and I really wanted to finish the vacation story rather than split it between blogs.  Andy's blog was just launched a few weeks ago, and this problem would mean that he could not post pictures either since we share the same platform.


I investigated and found that removing the pictures from the Picasa albums also removes them from the blog and is very time consuming.  


I could pay for more space but really didn't want to rope myself into that.  However, that is exactly what I did.  I paid the $5 that would give me 20GB of space which is 10X what I originally had.  I figure I can go on with my picture posts for years now, but I will continue to have the hassle of paying the $5.00 each year.


In my research I did find a way around this problem.  You can shrink the resolution on the pictures so that they are not print worthy but are fine for the computer and thus have unlimited space.  I do, however, often like the original sizes because it allows us to click on the picture and see it bigger.  What to do?


I am returning on some level to plan A.  Over the next couple of years I plan to use blog2press to have my blog printed in a book.  This allows my family to have the archive as this blog has always been for them as I tell our story and record our memories.  I plan to only print 6 months to a year at a time, and as those printed copies arrive, I can delete the pictures and even the entries that are already printed.  While it won't be a brand new blog, it will change my blog considerably as the archives disappear.  Who knows I may even start over with a new blog?


At this point my kids have no interest in this blog.  No one wants to read that stuff, they say.  So maybe they will never care about it, but I don't know.  If my mom had had something like this.  I imagine I would be soaking it up right now.  I would be trying to save it.  I would want her words to live on, so maybe one day they will want this too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.