2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Spring Break! a mid-week review

We made it to spring break.  Make up days for snow days cancelled all in-service days scheduled for the nine weeks leading up to spring break...not that we had that many scheduled days off, but we even had to work one two three-hour days after school to make up one of the days.  I needed spring break, so much so that I really did not think I would make it through that last week of work without a sick day.  I was exhausted but pushed my way through.  I worried needlessly that my spring break would arrive, and I would spend it working at my second job.  Fortunately, I only have to work one day there this week, and it is on Saturday (I may have to work Sunday as well, but that remains to be determined).


This year has been unbearably hard, arguably the worst year of my life thus far, and it will get worse.  At least 34 of my co-workers will be relocated next year.  We have grieved over and over again about this situation.  I dread the end of the school year and the start of next year when that dreadful situation becomes our new normal.  I have always loved my job, but I have never desired to quit more than this year.


I had plans for this break, but they were not huge.  My goals were simply to purge a lot, possibly paint the trim in the kitchen, and maybe attempt to fix my new table. Above all else, I planned to rest.  I have done some purging.  I have rested and exercised and caught up my Bible study.  I have been thrilled to have Andy home this week.  I am not sure if he has ever had spring break off with the rest of us before now.  


We have rented movies and enjoyed being at home together.  Megamind is very cute in case you haven't seen it. Unfortunately, we also started the week by replacing the alternator in the van. I really could have done without that.  


Yesterday, we took the kids for our much anticipated annual trip to the Children's Museum.  We have made this trip for six or seven years now.  I have digital files for my photos since 2005.  I would love to pull some of the older ones to add to this post, but I will have to save that for another day.  I decided to mix it up this year and post some of our pictures from previous years along with the new ones. Watch them grow!


all the kids 2005
all the kids 2006, Julia's first year
the arch picture became a tradition -2007
2008
2009 -Wyatt's first year
We missed the arch picture somehow in 2010 and never got all the kids in one shot.
2011

Julia 2006

2008 -she still loves monkeys
2011- designing fashion...which may be her calling


trying to get some toothless grin pictures as those new teeth are quickly growing in

Wyatt 2009

2011
Wyatt offered my favorite quote of the day.  Julia lost herself in many of the computerized activities, so she fell behind the group quite a bit.  I stayed behind with her.  At one point when we caught up with Andy and Wyatt, Andy shared that Wyatt had been discussing rocks and gems with an employee and answered all the questions from the employee correctly.  She asked how amber is formed, and Wyatt correctly answered the question.  When I praised him for this, he humbly (ahem) stated, "I know my rocky stuff!"

Unfortunately, Wyatt did not end the day well.  He insisted on visiting the gift shop.  I warned him that we would not be making any purchases.  Naturally, he found rocks.  He really liked a huge chunk of rose quartz.  They also had sliced agate.  All of the other kids have gorgeous Christmas ornaments that are painted mountain scenes on sliced agate.  We purchased them in Estes Park, and if I ever make my way back there again, I will be on the hunt for an ornament for Wyatt.  I really wanted to purchase a piece for Wyatt but could not get that started with the other three. I knew Wyatt had some money at home and when we returned to the museum, I asked what he would buy if he had his money with him.  He was already pouting at that point, and he said he would buy nothing.  I knew better and discussed it with Andy.  We decided to go ahead and buy him a rock of his choice.  Unfortunately, he continued to pout, so we were not about to reward his behavior with a purchase.  He left with nothing.  I did sneak back for a piece of sliced agate to give him as a gift later.
Savannah and Logan 2006

Austin, Savannah, and Logan 2007

one of my favorite pictures, Mom and Savannah, 2009
I have a picture of Zach and Savannah next to this polar bear when they were really little.  Unfortunately, I don't have it in digital format but would love to find it and add it to this post.

I also have a picture of Savannah in front of the trains when she was about four or five.  She was crazy about them when she was little.  I would love to add that one as well.
Austin and Zachary 2006
Zach loved the incredible costume area with actual costumes worn by actors in the movies.  I have a picture of him with a great Star Wars display taken when he was about seven.  Again, it is not digital or I would have included it.

Zach loves The Terminator.

Tessa joined us for the first time this year.

no comment

Silliness 2007
You wouldn't believe how long we spent at the checkers table...really? $79 to get in for this?
2011

jelly bean art, I forgot to take a picture of the Starry Night jelly bean mosaic on my way out.  It was my favorite.

As for the rest of spring break, I owe the little people and Savannah a trip to see Tangled at the second run theater.  We were planning to go on Monday while Zach and Andy attended an NCAA championship party at our church.  Unfortunately, the alternator on the van derailed that plan.  We also plan to celebrate Savannah's birthday tomorrow night. In just under a week, I will officially be the mom of two teenagers....time flies!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.