Friday, April 1, 2011
An Easter Experience
Our church produces an incredible Easter pageant. Last night our family had the privilege of enjoying the experience. While we have attended this event in the past, this year was different. Our church has decided to retire this program as it has grown too expensive to continue. Wyatt and Julia had never seen it. Our church guides families to bring children only if they are over five years old. Andy and I have traditionally made our children wait until they are seven. The crucifixion appears to be pretty realistic, and we do not want our children desensitized to it because they have been exposed to what it must have been like at too early an age and then watched it too many times.
Wyatt showed no interest in attending this program. I was slightly concerned about how he would sit still for two hours. It was my privilege to sit next to him. He was on the edge of his seat for most of the program. He remained focused on the stage, but I had to point out that a huge camel passed right by us on the way to the stage. I also pointed out when the adult Jesus walked right past us to make his first appearance. While I cannot be sure, it appeared that Wyatt's eyes were damp during the crucifixion. He asked me at one point if the performance was real. I responded that the events really happened. Wyatt revealed today that he really thought that someone was killed on that stage last night. Did I mention that our church does an incredible job with this?
Julia sat with Andy and was completely out of my view. Andy told me about how enamored she was with the angels suspended above the crowd at the birth of Christ. "Are they real?" she asked. Andy told her they were not. "They are real humans, aren't they?" she asked. Andy explained that they were. "How do they do that?" she asked. Julia could not see the wires. Unfortunately, in true Julia style, she fell asleep shortly after the angels appeared and slept until the crucifixion. She slept through the triumphal entry and awoke for the end of the performance.
Savannah loved it. Zach compared it to the program produced by our church a couple of years ago which was more in line with The Passion. Zach is torn on which he likes better. Andy and I were grateful for the return to the original pageant. We love the uplifting music and the live acting. The pageant does not disappoint with the live animals, poof, pomp, and wonderful music. My favorite parts of the pageant have always been when Jesus danced with the disciples and several other men. It just seemed to be a joyful moment. Our current Jesus actor does not sing. Our previous Jesus used to sing a beautiful song at the last supper. Another favorite moment of mine is always when Jesus awakens a dead child. In the past, she would run to him and be swept up in his arms and then tossed in the air. A mishap several years ago altered that scene (injury was averted), and the scene changed as a result. Instead, Jesus would spin around with the child in his arms. He was so real in those moments, someone you long to know. In the end a talented singer portrays the scene in Jerusalem as he sings from the perspective of a father arriving with his two young sons and a lamb to be sacrificed. He is commanded to carry the cross, and the song depicts the scene beautifully.
The only glitch in the program last night involved the situation with Legion. His mic was not working, so his screaming went unheard. When Jesus asked the name of the demon possessing the man, the response could not be heard. The man who plays Jesus in this production is a professional actor, so he knew to altar his lines enough to clarify what was happening for the sake of the audience. I was impressed with the man who played Legion. He managed to depict the physical aspect of that situation very well.
As I continue with my own struggles of late, I remembered during the pageant about how John the Baptist struggled. He declared that Christ was coming. He begged the people to repent. He knew what he was doing. However, he also sent word to Christ from prison asking if Christ was who he said he was. Even he had his doubts and then was beheaded.
I am saddened that our church will cease this production. I know the workload is incredible. The price of tickets do not cover the cost of the production, and we do not bring enough of the lost to see the performance, a production specifically for them. My concern is for the children. Where else will the next generation see a realistic portrayal of the life of Christ? Hollywood does not do the story justice. Broadway seems less than anxious to produce a realistic performance. If not in the church, where will they see it? We have a very visual generation being raised in our midst. In order to reach them, we may just need this tool even if they are being raised within the church.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.