2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Friday, January 11, 2013

Flashback Friday -best book I read in 2012


As a high school librarian, I read several young adult fiction books each year.  Last year I read through a list of books highly recommended by the experts - teens themselves.
  
I am doing Flashback Friday a little differently this week to share my opinions on these books.

I enjoyed Divergent by Veronica Roth so much that I read the follow-up, Insurgent.  If you liked The Hunger Games trilogy, you will like this dystopian novel set in a futuristic Chicago were people are divided into factions based on an aptitude test everyone takes at the age of 16.  The factions are based on personality/identity such as those who have daring personalities, or those born with a heart to serve.  I am anxiously awaiting the third book in this trilogy.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs takes the reader on a quirky and creative adventure and is a fun read.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green was my favorite read from the list, though no library patron has complained that they didn't like any of these three choices.  In The Fault in Our Stars, teenagers Hazel and August meet in a cancer support group.  Hazel and August are such witty and fun characters.  You may not want to read this one in the waiting room at the dentist office as you are likely to giggle uncontrollably and shed a few tears.  I do have to caution readers that I think teens and adults will love this book, but it is for mature readers, so juniors and seniors are the best audience for this book.

I will warn you that Green does a very good job of portraying the ups and downs of cancer.  While no student has complained about this book, a teacher hated being wrenched around that way. When I stated that cancer works that way, he remarked that he has never been close to anyone with cancer and did not realize this.


Check out the author's website.  He and his brother are pretty funny guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.