2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Saturday, July 27, 2019

A different kind of "class" ring

My children's high school has students order class rings just before their sophomore school year ends, and they receive them in November of their junior year.  That is the earliest students receive rings in our area.  Most schools place orders in the fall of junior year, and students receive their rings the following spring.  As Wyatt's sophomore year drew to a close, he was adamantly opposed to getting a class ring calling it a big waste of money.  That's fair.  Zach and Savannah each ordered rings, and I thought they would wear them daily from the time they received them until shortly after graduation as I had done.  In reality they wore them for special school events, and that was it, so I was with Wyatt on the whole class ring thing. He assured me that he was not interested in being a part of the ceremony.  For my children's school, a ring is required for the ceremony. I have worked in a school where that was not required.  It can be any ring, so if Wyatt were to change his mind, he could borrow his dad's ring or we could look for something inexpensive to use.

As I started doing my homework regarding what to do about my own wedding set which no longer fits, I revisted something I've long wanted to do.  If you have followed our journey all the way back to Wyatt's Baby Jelly Beans site, you may remember that I wanted to get him a ring with Galatians 3:29 on it as a nod to his heritage.  My original plan was to wear it for a time and then give it to him when he reached adulthood. I did something similar with a bracelet for Julia.  I never followed through on that plan.  I looked at rings and either didn't find anything I liked, or found a ring then just didn't act on it.  I did a search online for class rings that could be customized in a more heritage friendly sort of way.  I did not have to look far to find Forever Gifts.  I then approached Wyatt and asked what he thought of a heritage ring instead of a class ring.  I explained what I had originally wanted to do and pointed out that rings on this site were really inexpensive, so he would have the option of wearing it for special occasions, ring ceremony etc. without feeling guilty about the cost. Wyatt was actually excited about the idea, so we looked at options together and came up with a ring that has his school initials and graduation year along with Galatians 3:29 on the outside. The inside bears his name and adoption date.  It's a spinner (I didn't even know those existed), so he can spin it if he feels the need to fidget in class.  Winner!

Of course we had to find his size- so glad I took him to a jeweler for that as I would have guessed completely wrong.  We've tried the printed at-home guides for ring sizing before with no success, so I think I am going to buy one of those ring sizers that are under $5 on Amazon.






It's certainly not a high quality ring, but it will serve the purpose well.  I am pleased.  I think it runs a bit bigger than his size indicated, but a loose ring is better than a tight one in my opinion.  It's not so loose that it would easily come off, but I was surprised at the ease at which he could slide it on his thumb.  Who knows?  Maybe his fingers are all close to the same size?  Mine certainly are not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.