2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Friday, June 7, 2019

A Grateful Nation

I learned this week that 75 years ago today, my paternal grandfather landed on Omaha Beach while serving in the 234th Engineer Combat Battalion under General Omar Bradly.  I caught little of yesterday's D-Day celebration and coverage, but learning this had me digging deeper.  He was building pontoon bridges.  What's that?  I looked it up and learned how difficult it was for combat engineers - constantly in danger and working under the cover of night for their own protection.  I read the account of one engineer who noted that he was pulling bodies of his companions out of the waters as they were under fire in Normandy.  So brutal!

After looking at the fractured images of his campaign map, I realized that it was quite possible that my grandfathers were on each other's heels in the final push against Germany near the Roer River.  This intrigued me so I pulled out the war journal from my maternal grandfather and compared the dates.  They were indeed just weeks apart in the Battle of the Bulge.  My paternal grandfather was actually there for the battle. It sounds like my maternal grandfather followed for the clean up.

My maternal grandfather noted seeing France from the ship on his way to Liverpool and stated that the number of ships was too great to count.

My grandfathers never met each other.  My mom's dad died when she was just two years old, so there wasn't even a small meeting at the wedding.


It's so unbelievable to imagine that massive onslaught that turned the war.  Then, as many did, the surviving troops returned to their families and lived ordinary lives.  Truly the greatest generation.

My patriotism was high as I looked into all of this.  I just bought the beginning of a wreath I plan to make for the 4th of July and future Memorial Days a week ago.   It includes the center piece pictured below.  I kind of wish I had just hung that on my door for D-Day.

Just a side note for this wreath - I have a burlap wreath on my door that I made a couple of years ago. I am pleased with it.  I was talking with a friend on the phone while buying the ribbon and this insert for another burlap and told her I could spend $45 on Etsy or make one myself for under $20.  Her response was that I should start making the wreaths and selling them for $40+.  Ha!  I hated making that burlap wreath, hated it!  It was messy and tedious and not my thing.  So there's a little note about me - no patience for crafts but happy to save $20+.  So this little hanging might end up on the door all by itself for July 4th.   I've already tried to convince Savannah to make the wreath for me and was rejected.

Another note on June 7th.  It's Julia's gotcha day.  When my grandfather fought whatever internal battles it took to put himself out there 75 years ago to fight for his nation, he couldn't possibly have known that a couple of generations later he would have a great-granddaughter from the other side of the world who would meet her parents, siblings and both grandmas on the anniversary of his landing in Normandy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.