2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

The Third Parent

Savannah moved into her summer home today. We launched her into this mission/internship with a dinner provided by a sponsoring church - a delicious Cuban meal, I should add.  She's excited about the next 11 weeks!


We only got her home for three weeks, and I would like to say we made that time extra special and loved on her, but the reality is that May is a crazy month.  Since I am now the sole librarian at my school, my May workload has almost doubled.  With testing season I am often forced to work longer hours (illegal and without pay, I might add -not because I mind, I am willing to do what is best for the kids, but just to remind my readers that the demands on educators are not as little as the politicians and public at large would have you think).  Andy's job is always demanding, and then there are all the evening commitments with end of year activities.

Instead of loving on Savannah, she loved on us.  She drove our non-drivers to places we could not because of conflicting schedules.  When I was overwhelmed and exhausted, she went to multiple stores to find Wyatt a pair of pants he needed.  She took Julia shoe shopping (that, on it's own, is worthy of some kind of award).  She took Wyatt to have his glasses adjusted and offered to take him to a lengthy appointment so that I would not have to miss work since my sick time is being capped in December.  I took Wyatt to that appointment, by the way.  It was generous of Savannah to offer, but he needed a parent there- preferably both, but Andy could not make it happen.  During finals week Savannah picked Wyatt up from school every day since finals are only in the morning, and students only have to report to the classes where they have finals scheduled.  True to her nature, Savannah came home and served.

We all make commitments to ourselves over what we will and will not do in parenting. I remember thinking that I wanted my children close enough in age to each other that they couldn't be responsible for each other.  I sometimes resented the long summer days where I was stuck inside babysitting while my friends were free to roam the neighborhood or the sail boating adventure I missed because I was needed at home to babysit.  In hindsight I don't regret any of it because I think it taught me responsibility and pushed me to pursue my goals.  In the end I think it also taught me how to be a mom.  I don't get it right a lot of the time, but a recent conversation with Savannah revealed what God did do through Andy and me.

She also got some much needed rest.  Savannah did not work during this time, so she had her days while everyone was at work, school, or sleeping to herself.


20 girls, 3 working bathrooms, 1 Victorian mansion
1st world problems



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.