Personally, my last two weeks have been rough. Work is overwhelming right now, and May is one of the busiest months of the year as the school year wraps up with lots of end of year evening events.
However, there have been some highs -mostly related to Wyatt, so here's the recap of three, fun evening events.
The band concert was fantastic! They did this multi-media presentation of a piece called Godzilla, and it was AMAZING! Wyatt's band did very well too. I didn't post several weeks ago when Wyatt performed in the end of year percussion concert. He played timpani for the first time and CRUSHED IT! That was a really long concert and a long night but so cool to see my boy do so well.
The track season finished with the banquet. Coach D, pictured here with Wyatt, shared that Wyatt improved over the season, and we all laughed about how Coach D saw Wyatt just before practice in the hallway one day and told Wyatt he'd see him in a few at practice. Wyatt's response, "I won't be there. It's raining. I don't run in the rain." Wyatt has been warned that that won't fly for Cross Country season:) Wyatt likes track, but he does not like the meets because they are long. For that reason he prefers Cross Country. Wyatt is so ready for summer and wants to go to the pool the day it opens.
Out of the blue we got an email about an underclassman award ceremony. We have two grads from the school and have never heard of such a thing - must be new. Our email gave us the date and time and said Wyatt would be getting an award. Problem: Andy had a meeting scheduled at that time, and I had worked hard to get an appointment for a haircut at that time. Andy's meeting got rescheduled, and I managed to reschedule my haircut, and how glad I am that it worked out- even better, the ceremony was short and sweet - 45 minutes long. YES!
Wyatt was recognized in the program for receiving Honorable Mention Academic All-State for maintaining a cumulative GPA of 3.25-3.749 while participating on a Varsity team. The real surprise of the night is detailed below.
Wyatt received an award that the school gives to one boy and one girl from each class. The teachers and staff vote on the recipients, and then they take the list and narrow it down. They had some ties in the other classes, but in Wyatt's class, there were no ties. Wyatt received the Student of Character Award promoted by Christian Educators Association International. The description on the award reads: Wyatt has been recognized by the faculty and staff of the school (school named) as displaying the following attributes: honesty, integrity, generosity, a willingness to learn new ideas, sacrificial behavior for the good of others and self-motivation based on personal faith or morals in the freshman class of 2017-2018.
I don't know if I shared before about how we discussed the reality that we cannot afford a vacation this year, and there's a certain trip the kids want to take every year of high school with our church youth. I mentioned that we can't do both a family vacation and that trip in the coming years. Wyatt is taking that trip this year and likely spent a whole day worrying about how he might have hurt his dad by choosing the trip. I told Andy this, and he simply responded: I love vacation, but I love Wyatt more!
Wyatt's heart slays me! He certainly is deserving of this award.


No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.