I am following the organization from which Savannah has secured this summer internship on social media. They have podcasts sharing stories about their work and their people, and through the gift of a generous friend, I had the privilege of participating in the taping of their first live podcast. The taping did not record, but that's another story.
My knowledge of the group is new, but at the kick off the other day, I saw in action what a top notch group this is. The summer interns come from all over the country with a couple from Canada and one from England. I thought this was this local thing, but really other than the staff and non-profits, there are few locals involved in this.
We are close enough to get to Savannah should she need anything, and she has one day off a week. However, after the opening ceremony and visiting the house where she is living, I see where it might be best if she does her thing without any intervention from us. My inclination is to drop off cookies for these girls and love on them. However, the organization founder talked about how these interns will fight their pride this summer and their entitlement. I think that it's best that I let them wrestle through those things because while they are there to change lives, their own growth will likely be significant. The energy and personality in that room made me want to jump in and join them. Savannah was beaming. She's totally following God's leading in her heart for this.
It occurred to me this morning just how difficult this would have been for Dad. He was a worrier. He did not like it that I took the kids to China to adopt Julia. I told him after the fact that we spent a weekend in St. Louis a few years ago. Last summer he suggested that I should never go to New York again. I inherited that tendency to worry. Savannah is not in a "safe" neighborhood. I know the city well enough to know that she's not in a most dangerous area either. However, Dad would have been very uncomfortable with this and would have stood up against us on it. He would have worked to talk Savannah out of it. He often tried to convince me to talk Zach out of his career choice. I think, however, that we were all made to do something, and even with the challenges, we will do what we were born to do if we let God lead. I know my career choice is not an easy one right now. I just finished a year where a lot of junk bubbled to the surface and it became very clear how undervalued educators are especially by politicians but often by the very communities where we serve. It's been trying, but I still love my job. I still work alongside people who love what they do and make a very good impact on the future of our society because they teach students to think and to be responsible and to be good citizens.
All this to say that I will be encouraging young adults to pursue this opportunity. It will grow them spiritually while providing impressive job and life experience. They will learn to adult and love people. I am so grateful to the many friends and family members who made this possible for Savannah. The work is not finished. It's just beginning. Your prayers are still needed and appreciated.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.