We are rapidly approaching April with no college decision in place for Zach. During spring break he will visit a school to which he just applied this month. Zach revisited the state school that was initially at the top of his list on Friday. It was a good visit, but Zach is learning that very few colleges throw out the welcome mat. He talked with the head football coach who just told him to do what he has already done to try and make the team. I think we can pull that one off the table. They haven't even run his financial package yet, and I need to get on them about that this week. We need that package as the school he really wants to attend may be able to match it. He would have already signed there if the financial piece were doable for us. I did have a chance meeting with someone who will make sure Zach meets the football coach during his visit over spring break, so maybe we do have another contender.
We are closer to a decision for Wyatt. He interviewed last week with the school our other children attend and has been accepted. Wyatt will shadow there this week to finalize that decision. This one was made easier in the past few weeks when the two public schools to which he applied notified us that they are out of space. That leaves us with the district school which has had a bad reputation for years. In fact one of my students has a younger brother who is taking Tae Kwon Do in order to be able to defend himself at this school when he gets there next year. We never really expected Wyatt to go the public school route as the two that had no room are really big, and Wyatt needs a small environment.
Even Savannah has been stressed about school decisions this week. She had to register for classes for her junior year over the course of the last couple of weeks. Junior year is an intense one. So AP classes or not became the question. Honors or Conceptual Physics, what to do? She chose an intense schedule and justified it by saying that she does not have to make straight "A"s when I suggested that she allow herself to have a life for her 16th year on the planet. Andy and I don't force the "A"s, so Savannah and I had a conversation about that. I can't see Savannah being okay with letting a little go here and there. It is just not in her nature.
Julia is the only one for whom we can happily march into next year without tough decisions or transitions. However, she has had her own stress this week. She was very unhappy with the S+ on her report card as she too wants straight "A"s.
Spring break will be a welcome relief around here -just five more days. Speaking of spring break, I am getting ready to walk outside to a 20 degree start with snow in the forecast for tomorrow. Can I get a side of spring for spring break? Amen? :)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.