The football team took the field again on Friday night for quite a game.
For the first time ever, I served the team meal along with two other moms. We faced a mighty opponent that night and while setting up for the boys, we discussed our concerns. Our 2A school would face a 6A school. While that is not unusual, it is early in the season, and we have never faced this particular school which happens to be the biggest in the state (and the one where I work). We expressed our concerns to each other - hopes that our boys would not be humiliated and that no one would get hurt. A very different conversation occurred when dads got involved...it's good for them to play a bigger team, they will learn from it. Okay, nobody learns much if a season ending injury ensues; hence the reason freshman do not typically play varsity games. They are not as developed as the older boys in both the sport and stature.
Andy's mom and sister, Dianna, came from out of town to see the game and spend the night. Our dentist came to watch Zach. Tara, Tessa, and John all showed up to see the battle. We never expected to witness history in the making that night.
Zach joined three other team captains for the toss to start the game. I was thrilled for him as he took the field as a captain for the first time. In our last two games, our team started slowly. I do not like nail-biters. Humor me while I repeat I. do. not. like. nail-biters. These boys put my heart through too many of those over the years. When we put a touchdown on the board early with a two-point conversion follow-up, I was happy to see a solid start for a change. By the end of the game when we held the leading score at 36-19, I was so pumped that sleep would certainly allude me for a few hours. Yes, you read that correctly, our team shocked the parents and our city with this solid victory. You can only imagine how excited we are for the rest of the season. Of course challenges face these boys, and there are some teams that they need to work hard to beat, but this is a great confidence booster.
Zach likened it to God's 300 that he led through Gideon to destroy the Midianites. Andy wrote the article for the school enews and used this analogy. Had he known that a player on our opponent's team told one of our boys that they were Goliath, and we were David, Andy would have used that one. Does this guy know how that story ended? hmmm
I will post pictures later.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.