Due to the elections today, Wyatt and I had the day off. After some thought, I decided to treat Wyatt to an adventure. Wyatt does not currently participate in a sport nor an activity. Because he is in the public school system, invitations to parties are more rare than those his siblings receive. His own birthday party is not well attended for the same reason and because it happens to fall at a challenging time of year for yet another party. He did not care for our summer adventure to the amusement park, so I felt it was time to tailor an adventure to Wyatt's taste. Therefore, I splurged on our little guy today.
| Our quest - gem mining |
Back in January Wyatt wrote us a persuasive letter about just the sort of adventure he would like. His idea was actually not too far from home, but we never made it over the summer, and fall is crazy busy here. By the time we reach November, Wyatt's choice closes for the winter. He wanted more than anything to "mine" for gems. I called some places yesterday to see if they were still allowing kids to mine. All would require quite a trip from home, meaning more time traveling than enjoying being outside of the van. It would have been nice if the place where I got confirmation that he could mine for gems had told me they were sold out of the gems. They had arrowheads and fossils, but Wyatt is all about gems. We were just about to give up when we found a small place where Wyatt could do his mining and visit a small cave.
| the nativity |
Wyatt and I were the only people on the tour, and our guide was very enthusiastic but not in an annoying way. She just clearly loves what she does.
During our adventure I learned about labradorite. A mom cannot complain about fun that is also educational, can she? We visited a huge rock shop (with claims of being the biggest rock shop which Wyatt just ate up) and Wyatt asked for labradorite. This stone is really cool and iridescent. Go ahead and Google it, I'll wait right here.
Are you back? Who knew? Of course, we brought one home. Have I ever mentioned how much Wyatt loves the description of the throne in Revelation. All those gems surrounding the throne beg for Wyatt's attention. He is becoming quite the little gem expert.
We finished our day with lunch at a Chinese restaurant (Wyatt's typical choice when eating out). The day that began to look like a bust turned out pretty good, and Wyatt is now exploring and studying his new gems.
the letter that launched our journey...transcript below
Wyatt January 6, 2011
Persuasive Writing
Dear Mom and, Dad
Can we go to Caverns on a sunny day because it aimmzing and I will be good and I like their rocks and crystals and gems and I will be happpie and have I like the marblos (marbles) and it has a cave and what I love the bat eggs and the stones and the candy store and the shark toofs. You might say too much money but I have a solution I will save my moneyI ben there one time.
Really, did we have any choice but to take him? He had a persuasive letter with a solution and everything.
Did I mention that we had a beautiful day? I don't think I have ever enjoyed fall as much as this year.
oh wow! so much to say about this lovely little post. :)
ReplyDeletefirst of all, my complete sympathies on bdays being at the wrong time of year. these poor kiddos!
we've also had dismally attended bday parties. quite depressing for kids and parents alike. :O
LOVE that letter. esp i will be good :) and you might say money is a problem...my kids hear that all of the time! i feel like a broken record after a while. :)
i think our fams are so similar. one of the many reasons i simply love to keep up with yours.
KUDOS TO YOU MAMA!! for treating your littlest boy today. it was time very well spent. :)
xoxo