2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Sunday, May 15, 2011

She Did It!

She posed this one herself...just had to have her products in the picture.

One surprising little detail about our glam girl is that, until last week, she was adamant that she would not have her ears pierced.  I was fine with that and actually kind of liked the idea.  My parenting approach to piercing is that I wanted my girls to make their own decisions about having their ears pierced.  As for the boys, I would rather they just refrain altogether.

My ears were pierced when I was seven years old, so that was the ballpark age that I anticipated allowing this process.  Savannah had hers done at the age of six and a half.  (Savannah was also pretty adamant that she was not having any part of pierced ears, so I guess I should have known that Julia would change her mind sooner rather than later).

When Julia asked about the pain of ear piercing last week, I immediately asked which of the girls in her class had their ears pierced.  I knew she wasn't just asking out of the blue.  She named a few girls and told me that she wanted her ears pierced.  I suggested that we make it birthday present for her upcoming 7th birthday, and she really liked the idea.  Julia wanted to surprise the family by having her ears pierced a day before her birthday.  After thinking about it, I suggested that we go ahead with it.  I remember what a hard time one of Zach's teammates on the swim team had with freshly pierced ears and thought that getting in a few weeks of healing prior to swim season would be wise.  We could also see how she does to determine if more earrings are a wise birthday gift.  So, since that conversation on Wednesday, I have been hounded non-stop about this piercing business.  Andy and I felt that freshly pierced ears would not mix well with camping, so we held her off until today.  It was crazy to fit it in today, but she had the advantage  of getting to showing them off at a family cookout.

She did great and even giggled some about the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.