On Monday September 28th, Julia's Pathfinder group had their joining ceremony. They placed symbols of American Heritage Girls on a flannel board, recited their memory verse (Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young. Be an example to all believers. 1 Timothy 4:12).
After the ceremony, the girls enjoyed cake and punch with their families. These girls are so sweet and such fun.
In case you have never heard of American Heritage Girls. Let me explain the history of this worthy organization. In the 1990's two former girl scout leaders decided to launch a scouting program for girls that would honor our Christian heritage. These ladies left the girl scouts after growing concern over the direction the national organization was taking. As has been the case in our country in the past few decades, the girl scouts were moving away from including faith and were supporting organizations that stand in direct opposition to the Christian faith. Now, over a decade later, American Heritage Girls chapters reside in all 50 US states, and I believe has even branched out internationally.
Julia is a Pathfinder which is the kindergarten program. Savannah is an Explorer and is in her 7th year with this troop. When Savannah started the program in kindergarten, she was a Tenderfoot and remained a Tenderfoot until she finished 3rd grade. The Tenderfoot level was too advanced for many kindergartners, so the Pathfinder level was created a few years ago. We have thoroughly enjoyed our AHG years, and Julia is having a blast. However, even as I agree with the motive of this organization to encourage our girls to grow into women of integrity, I am now in my fourth year of leadership. It is wonderful for Julia and me, but I think it is hard on my family. The troop struggles to have all the necessary volunteers, and I am spending time this year deciding whether either of my girls will continue next year. As a family we have always agreed to a character building program and a sport for each child. I want to be fair to Julia in this, but I have to be realistic. If her involvement requires my involvement, then it may be best for our family if we do not pursue this. For now, we will have fun this year with the regular meetings, mother-daughter tea, and father-daughter event. We will see how this goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.