What if COVID-19 is a wake-up call to America regarding our idols? What came down first? -sports followed by money. Greed became apparent right out of the gate as panicked shoppers stocked up to hoard for themselves rather than to help their neighbors. People who fill their time with busyness have been forced to slow down.
It's no secret that we are a divided nation. We are divided by political affiliations, race, income, etc. What if this is the very thing that God will use to heal our land, to turn us from our wicked ways?
I am guilty. I have my own idols. I have been confronted in this past week with my own selfishness, and my priorities have been shaken. I am guilty of trying to find the balance here. I have been fighting a cold/allergies - no fever and identical to previous colds and allergies, but I have cancelled my PT appointments where I would be in close proximity to others. I have washed my hands thoroughly before doing any necessary shopping, kept them off my face, and kept my distance from other people. I have no reason to believe I have been exposed, yet I hesitate to do things like drop off goodies for patients in facilities where they can't have visitors or gather the things that people need because I don't want to freak anyone out and certainly don't want to spread this if I actually do have it, or I am just making excuses?
What I know is that God will tear down the idols. He will not be mocked, and He will go to great lengths to draw us to Him.
What I have loved seeing this week is the outpouring of support. Ministries are getting creative with online resources and prayer support. My home church is shopping local and taking carryout from restaurants hard it by this and then giving the meals to medical personnel on the frontlines. My daughter works in a pharmacy, and she has been thanked again and again for being there. Suddenly people see what is important. We will hopefully come away from this without taking community for granted. My fear is that we are in a for a long haul because just like those Israelites, we are hard-headed and not so quick to learn our lesson.
This quote from Martin Luther shared by my favorite radio station is how I want to live in light of this trying time. I admit I have a long way to go.
In the 1500s, when the “Black Plague” was ravaging the land, Martin Luther wrote the following as to how to live and act:
"I shall ask God mercifully to protect us. Then I shall fumigate, help purify the air, administer medicine and take it. I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and thus perchance inflict and pollute others and so cause their death as a result of my negligence. If God should wish to take me, he will surely find me, and I have done what he has expected of me and so I am not responsible for either my own death or the death of others. If my neighbor needs me however I shall not avoid place or person but will go freely as stated above. See this is such a God-fearing faith because it is neither brash nor foolhardy and does not tempt God."
Praying daily
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.