2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Saturday, December 16, 2017

Making Memories

I have to write things down to remember them.  That means every appointment has to go on the calendar even if it's highly unlikely I would forget.  It also means that every memory has to be recorded, so for those of you visiting, these two things about which I am writing today are important to me but may not be so to others.

1.  Our church handed out advent devotional books for the Christmas season this year.  Andy works through the devotions with Wyatt and Julia on their way to school (hey, you have to squeeze these things in where you can in a busy household). Each devotional includes a Bible reading, a commentary and a task, and each week has a theme.  One day the task was to make a list of things for which you are thankful.  Andy and the kids did this out loud in the car, and Andy was touched that Wyatt's list included adoption.

2. As mentioned before on the blog Savannah changed her major to architecture this year.  God has been so good to provide her with some breadcrumbs to assure her she's on the right path.  The latest came last week after she did her project review for the semester.  Savannah ran into two of her professors who shared that the director of the college of architecture, who sat in on the reviews for Savannah's class, mentioned her specifically and stated that he's anxious to watch her and see if she lives up to the her potential. Her God-given potential - I would add.


As is typical for really good news, there's always some bittersweet in life.  We are watching our neighbors live out their faith as their four-year-old daughter fights cancer.  Some of our sweetest friends, a truly amazing couple, are grieving right now as the wife has been completely healed and is in the presence of Jesus this week.  I am so sick right now that I could not even get up to see Savannah yesterday when she got home and drug myself out of bed this morning because this is a funeral I cannot miss.  Jackie planned it herself, and she desired to leave a legacy of giving which is exactly how she lived her life. The visitation last night was precious.  They had Christmas trees filled with ornaments tagged with various ministries they supported.  Visitors were instructed to take an ornament and give in Jackie's name to the ministry on the tag.  That's how they lived. I know you can't outgive God, but Jackie and Mark sure tried!  This was truly a couple who made each other better people, and many lives will now have a huge hole in them without our sweet Jackie.

Hug your people.  Love out loud. Give generously. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.