Savannah and Julia went shopping yesterday. I needed them to pick up something while they were out, so they had my debit card. Julia called to ask if she could buy a jacket at a discount store similar to a TJ MAXX. I quizzed her on the need for said jacket and then told her to call her dad and ask him. Julia needs a coat. It was in the twenties here last weekend, and she went shopping with Zach wearing nothing more than a flannel shirt over a t-shirt. She came home freezing. However, she does not like anything bulky, and every option we've shown her has been vetoed. I know her well enough to know that she won't wear something just because we buy it, so we've been in this stand off about a coat. We finally bought a North Face type jacket, but it is not something that will keep you warm when the temperature dips to the twenties and below. Anyway, the jacket she wanted was a Nike athletic jacket. From the description on the phone, it did not sound very warm (Andy had told Julia that if we could find a thin, lined athletic jacket with a temp rating for single digits, he would let her get that instead of a coat). Julia begged, saying it could be a Christmas gift. Andy conceded, and they used my debit card to make the purchase. The jacket is a thin one that I can't see keeping anyone warm, but she's thrilled with it.
Last night Julia brought the jacket to me so it could be wrapped for Christmas. Then she proceeded to wrap it herself and told us she's pretty sure she can forget what that is between now and Christmas -- in 8 days? She cracks me up!
Julia went ice skating with friends last night. We are experiencing lots of firsts with her. She always ice skates with friends over Christmas break, but the moms always stay and chat. This time no mom stayed. It was her first awkward middle school experience where she was approached by a stranger who said, "my friend thinks you are pretty, what do you think of him?' Julia was at a total loss about what to do in the situation, and listening to her tell the the story is hilarious. I am just so glad she was not mean. No numbers were exchanged, and that attempt to meet someone new did not work out this time for this guy.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.