How did this happen, you ask? Here's how...
Our town hosts a marathon/mini-marathon every spring. Andy has participated in both the mini and the marathon a total of four times. This year he joined a marathon relay team, so he only had to run the last leg of the marathon- a total of 7.5 miles. Julia always gets up to go and cheer for her dad. This year proved to bring bigger challenges than previous years even for a shorter run. First there were the training challenges. Andy's typical work schedule over the last couple of months has been 9-6 followed by cooking and eating dinner and then returning to the computer to work until I don't even know when because I am in bed before he finishes. That left no time to properly train. He got a few lunch break runs in, but not what he needed. Even as he started his vacation to head to D.C. with Wyatt, work called and halted him from getting in a last run Friday evening. Running in D.C. proved to be impossible because his group of three boys had to go everywhere he did, and their days started at 6:a.m. and ended close to 11:00p.m.
As if the training issues were not enough, race day brought it's own challenges. We awoke to storms and to a race delayed again and again by lightning, so the race started an hour and a half late. On a day with temps registering in the 80s, you can imagine the heat and humidity especially since Andy's part of the race did not start until after noon.
The start and finish for the race is pretty close together. Because Andy was not starting at the start, he still opted to park close to the finish as he was uncertain about how he would feel after the race. He had to choose a three mile walk before or after the race. He chose before. Since Julia and I were there to see his start and finish, we walked those miles too. My Fitbit recorded over nine miles before we returned to the car. We walked to Andy's starting location with him, and I had over 10,000 steps when we arrived. After he started the race, Julia and I trekked back hoping to see his finish. We missed the finish for two reasons. Julia had not had a thing to eat or drink, so we stopped for lunch, and surprisingly, Andy finished better than he expected. His team fell apart. They were supposed to pass off a wristband, and that did not happen on the first pass. As the heat intensified, two of the runners started without seeing those who preceded them. I am sure they were disqualified, but they all ran their part of the course, and they all received medals.
Andy and I made it home barely in time to clean up and go work the church nursery. Another event our city hosts every spring is a balloon race preceded the night before by a balloon glow. I love these events and have missed them for several years because they coincide with the marathon or because the crowds were too intense to get to them. Because the balloon glow could not happen Friday night, they postponed it to tonight. I know Andy did not want to go. He wanted a post race steak, but he humored me and went. Zach and Joshua joined us. I got to play with my camera, but I am spoiled. I have quit trying to take manual pictures because the guide on my camera does everything for me. I need another class.
This balloon was my favorite. It is sponsored by Folds of Honor. They provide scholarships for the children of fallen military personnel to attend private schools if they choose. A dear friend of mine has two children attending school on these scholarships. The balloon itself is truly amazing as it is decorated with kid art. So special!!
Zach bought a drink in a coconut. He's quite proud of it.


No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.