2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Moving Forward

Savannah spent three weeks this summer on a college campus, and we celebrated that experience with a reunion this weekend.  I learned so much.  The weekend offered us a time of reflection as they continually tweak this program to make it the best possible experience for students.  Students and parents spent time evaluating the program.

During that time of reflection, I realized how much Savannah grew over the summer.  She's gained a maturity and confidence that I did not even realize she lacked.  Savannah is a content and quiet leader.  She treasures time with her friends and needs healthy doses of it, but she also needs quiet time alone.  She started senior year ready to move forward.  Savannah has spent 12+ years with many of her peers, and she's ready for new friends, experiences, and campus life.

such a short but sweet reunion

Over the summer Andy packed Zach up and moved him to the basement.  He bought Savannah new bedroom furniture and planted her in Zach's room.  I was not sold on this plan as I don't think our basement is suitable living space, but Andy said it's time she had her own room.  He wanted to do this for her because she's earned it and because he's convinced that she will fly next year.  Savannah will likely spend her year on a college campus, return home for breaks and probably leave the state when she graduates.  How do we hold on to this year and make time stand still?



I learned so much about the scholarship and application process for college.  I work in education, and I know lots, but there is always so much more to learn.  I left there wishing I could retire and work in an admission's office with new students excited to take on new adventures.  This university rolled out their automatic scholarships this week.  As long as Savannah enters their honors college, she has full tuition covered along with a $1500 stipend - that's just based on her ACT score combined with her GPA.  Because she attended the summer program, Savannah also gets a $2000 housing allowance to live on campus. In addition she has money from the state and has applied for another scholarship.  Savannah can still apply for the competitive scholarship that would cover everything.  The beauty of this is that this is her first choice for college.  The down side is that she wants to pursue a doctorate in pharmacy, so this may not be the best choice when we have a school closer to home that ranks in the top five pharmacy schools in the nation.  Savannah will apply for their full scholarship too, and while we want her college experience to be awesome and to meet her desires, if she gets the other scholarship, she knows that is the best option.  
She was beautiful this weekend, and I really did not get a good picture.  However, I should be getting an email with a picture of Savvy with the Dean of the summer program and president of the university.

Savannah was very disappointed last year when she did not get accepted into a well-known state program for the summer.  I learned over the course of this weekend that instead she landed in a program with harder requirements and much more rigor expected of the students.  That's wonderful, but the difference is that she applied straight to the university for this, and they made the decisions.  She competed with students from at least five states to get a spot.  For the other program, the local school district gets a set number of spots, and they decide which applicants can apply.  That local piece makes the other program recognizable and well known for colleges and universities in our state.  When we mentioned the program at MSU to the scholarship office at a university we visited, they had never heard of it.  This program may have prepared her more, but she will also have to work to sell it more when competing for scholarships.  Even so, I walked away ready to share this program with every junior and junior parent I know.  It is truly an amazing and wonderful experience.  The students get up to 12 hours of college credit, and they learn so much about working with people and applying for college.  Really incredible! Great staff! Great friendships!

Savannah returned home pumped and started working on the common application.  She plans to cast her net far and wide in order to compete.  Yale has been courting her. They take 6% of their applicants, so it's a long shot, but I think she's going for it.  She may not attend Yale, but really how cool would it be to say she was accepted?  It is such an exciting time for her, and she has worked so hard and continues to do so. We are so happy for her.

Part of the fun included seeing a football game, and I found a restaurant that will be my guilty pleasure when visiting Savannah if she lands on this campus.  
My mind has been swimming in all the information gathered this weekend. I wish I'd known so much of this when Zach applied for school, but I am so glad to know it for Savannah, Wyatt and Julia.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.