Very early Monday morning, Andy left for an out-of-town business trip.
This is our life when Andy leaves town.
He loads the freezer up with frozen food. Andy is the family cook, and between work and getting the kids to and from practices and other activities, I can barely manage a simple meal.
He has not traveled in over a year. In the past, I had to switch my hours at work to get everyone to school. That really isn't an option any more, so our new plan goes like this. Zach takes Julia to the bus stop, then he takes Wyatt to before school care and then drives Savannah and himself to school. This week was our maiden voyage with this new plan.
As of last week, I have been officially packing a library for a move. Andy left Monday morning, and I packed 80 boxes of books at work that day. A team of just eight people packed 728 boxes in just under four hours. I arrived at home exhausted.
The kids managed the morning quite well except for a missed medication that resulted in some minor challenges that afternoon.
Tuesday brought more packing at work followed by a skating party for Wyatt's school-definitely felt too old and tired for that. The kids once again managed to make it to school on time.
Today was not so smooth.
The first thing I did this morning was start a load of laundry. Then I found this:
That would be potting soil all over my living room floor. Oh joy! The dog bedding was a mess, and the washer was already busy.
The accused:
I quickly assessed that Shiloh was the guilty party. While the evidence was circumstantial, I do believe it would hold up in a court of law.
1. She did not sleep in her crate last night. She was pretty stubborn about the crate thing in Andy's absence.
2. She has torn up a bag of potting soil before. Why, you may ask, did she have access to potting soil based on her history? Well, we have a garden growing on a table in our living room until the weather clears enough for it to be transplanted outside. The potting soil was supposedly out of Shiloh's reach on the table. Clearly, not so.
3. Nobody else with any freedom spent the night in that room or area of the house.
4. She has a history of throwing herself parties that get pretty messy.
Guilty as charged!
So this morning started with a hurried sweeping job and quick text to Andy to let him know what he would be finding at home as he was not exactly coming into a haven of rest from a grueling business trip.
I was late to work. Zach missed Julia's bus and had to drive her to school. That made him and Savannah late to school.
We are all grateful that Andy returned today. When he announced this trip, Wyatt told him to watch out for piranhas and killer spiders in this state. Where do kids get this stuff? We are glad Andy skirted the piranhas and killer spiders while away.
We have 2 more days until spring break. We need a break. Can we get some spring weather with that break? We are all so tired here.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.