2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Your ring tells your story

I really did not think that getting the class ring would be such a big deal.  I mean, I realize it is a big deal, but I figured we would attend a short ceremony followed by a nice meal.  I say this because having worked in high school for 19 years now, I have noticed that class rings are not as popular as they once were.  
Andy was not able to attend, and I joined the parents gathered to honor this junior class on this special occasion.  Mrs. M, a much loved teacher, spoke about how your ring tells your story.  She talked about how the rings are personalized to reflect the varying personalities and experiences of the students.  Mrs. M asked the kids to play a game with her.  She made a statement (about 25 in all), and the students stood if the statement applied to them.
Some examples:
I joined this school in middle school.
I joined this school in high school.
I am a lifer (been there since kindergarten).
I did the 7th grade leaf project.
I have been on a mission trip.
I have worn a Tran hoodie.

As Zach stood for the statements about him, he decided to continue to be the class clown and put his own stamp on the situation.  He held one hand in the air and waved while tapping his chest with the other hand.  Really!?  Where did he come from?  I was painfully shy in high school.

A senior talked about what his ring means to him, and the whole ceremony was really sentimental. 
I think the students could not have walked away without knowing how very special this token of high school is.


Zach's ring includes the school mascot on one side along with his year of graduation.  The other side shows his interests in power lifting and football.  The football helmet has his actual jersey number on it.  He chose to have the cross under his stone which we thought was much better than having it encrusted on top where it could get damaged.  I was really surprised that he chose the red stone over the blue as the blue looks really nice, but Zach's ring is beautiful and he loves it.


Trevor and Zach

Zach and Christopher - friends since elementary school

Peyton, Blake, Trevor, Zach and Christopher

Blake cracks me up.  We had the luncheon at a country club, and Blake left his ring in the car.  He said it bothered him to drive with it on and that he only plans to wear it for special occasions.  hmm, you mean like the meal to celebrate receiving the ring?   He pointed out that his tie is from Trump Tower in New York, and he only wears it for special occasions.  I love that boy!


Mrs. M and Zach
I love Mrs. M.  She is a natural encourager, and she tells Zach every time she sees him that she believes in him and that he will do great things.  I think she is absolutely right!

Another milestone passed.  I know the next two years will fly, and when they are finished, I will be in the process of ordering Savannah's class ring and searching for the best college fit for her.  It really was just yesterday that they walked wide-eyed into kindergarten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.