2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Picturing October with the Pages

Lots of pictures for this post (36- that's a roll of film!), but I will start with the news.

Mom is home from the hospital. YAY!  She arrived at home on Thursday evening.  I have not seen her all week because I have been fighting a vicious cold and going to bed after work everyday.  She does, however, sound much better today. When I talked with her on Wednesday, she sounded like she was half asleep and told me that her medication made it appear that the walls were closing in and that she felt like she could put her arm right through a print on the wall in front of her. I teased about the 60's style hallucinogens she was taking. You have to laugh, right?

I have torn through two books in the last couple of weeks.  Bound by Love by Sharon Droeger tells the story of Lily Nie.  Lily founded the agency we used to adopt Wyatt and Julia and grew up during the cultural revolution in China.  The book is a compelling page turner, and Wyatt and Julia are listed among the children in the back.  They were quite excited to find their names in a published book.  If you should read this book and look for their names, you will find Julia in group 777 and Wyatt in group 1362.
One thing that was striking about this book was that Lily kept saying, "we will do everything we can and then leave it up to God."  As I recall that was my motto during Wyatt's grueling adoption process.

I also finished The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.  Another page turner, this memoir reveals the bizarre situation in which Jeannette and her siblings grew up.  With an alcoholic dad and a mom who tried to make them believe that starving and living without indoor heat or plumbing was an adventure, the story unfolds to reveal determination to triumph over such a difficult (big understatement) childhood.

The pictures share the rest of October to this point.
1. Homecoming came on a beautiful day.  Zach does not usually get to bring home any of his football uniform, but they had the jerseys for school that day.

2. Andy arrived home from Alaska just in time (literally) for a field trip to the pumpkin patch with Julia.  She and her best friend Larissa left little time to hang out with the parents, but we enjoyed chatting with Larissa's parents...must have a play date soon.
3.  The third time is the charm in choosing the pumpkin.

4. Julia and me

 5. Homecoming that night was a big improvement over last year when it poured.  It was beautiful this year. Savannah's field hockey team was ready for the parade.
6.  Wyatt awaited the parade with some of Julia's friends.  Julia missed the parade for gymnastics and joined us later in the game.

7. The seniors did the best float - loved the Up theme.

8.Zach after the game.  He did not get to play in the homecoming game but did make it into three varsity games this season.

 9.  Wyatt had hill billy night at AWANA and came up with his costume himself for the most part.
 10.  We saw baby Regan get dedicated at church, and she behaved nicely for the event.
11.  Everyone except Zachary enjoyed Halloween at the zoo.  Wyatt dressed as Dan from Bakugan, and Julia was Silvermist from Tinkerbell.

12.  My favorite characters at the zoo.

13.  We took the kids for a family day at the pumpkin patch on Zach's birthday.  It was hot and crowded and not exactly fun, but we did bring home a pumpkin.

14. silliness at the pumpkin patch

15. When we celebrated Zach's birthday, Tara and I got photographic proof that we can touch our noses with our tongues...well, the photographer must have missed my talent in this one.

16. Savannah enjoyed her field hockey banquet.  She received a very nice jacket with her name embroidered on it for her participation.  Wyatt went through a $10.00 game card in no time.  Wyatt!!

17.  We spent a family day at the park where I attempted to get good pictures of the kids since I no longer buy school pictures...thinking Christmas cards here.  Andy declared it the best thing we've done as a family in a long time.

18.

19.

20. Andy jumped out of a tree and then this happened.  It is a good thing he has a sense of humor and didn't get hurt.  (later, he ran down a hill with the kids, and his knee was not at all pleased about that)

21.

22.

23.  Zach was less than cooperative, so we will be seeing a professional photographer soon.

24.

25.

26.

27.  loved this shot

28. He belongs in a movie, don't you think?

29.  Julia let me put her hair in ponytails...may be the last time as she is pretty adamant about doing her hair herself.

30. We went to a fall festival at the church where Wyatt attends AWANA, and Julia ran into some friends.


31. We saw Scooby Doo and enjoyed a hayride through the woods.

32.  more football -Zach was one of the two captians chosen for the last freshman football game.  He is respected by his coaches and teamates and a great encourager.
33.  Andy and I both made it to Wyatt's Halloween pirate-themed Halloween party at school.

34.  They played a game where they wrapped each other up as mummies.  The toilet paper kept breaking, so none were very successful.

35. I've never seen kids so anxious to clean up.

36.  Wyatt and his teacher -aren't they cute?

3 comments:

  1. wow! so many terrific pics! love julia's pink glasses, andy falling out of a tree (priceless!), the up float was pretty terrific, scooby doo and crew and cute kids and teachers! :) thanks for sharing that roll of film dear one. ok i'm jealous...haven't even ordered the book yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allie, I am shocked. I got the postcard but would have totally overlooked it if not for you, so it blows my mind that you haven't even ordered the book yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tamara, thanks for the comment. I think I actually started it a couple of months ago after reading yours. I just didn't do anything with it till now because I couldn't figure it all out. Like you, there just isn't time to scrapbook and this is a way to remember and capture all the little things. Hope your mom is better.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.