Apparently Oprah ran an episode on the education system and basically followed the American way of blaming teachers for problems in American education. I did not see the program and cannot comment on it, but this letter is a well-written response from someone in the trenches.
http://neatoday.org/2010/09/24/a-teachers-letter-to-oprah/
Let me add that the powers that be have decided to withhold the public announcement identifying which schools will be overhauled (overhauled = removal of the administration and 1/2 the staff) until after the elections in November. Hmmm, could it be that there may be some shaking in the boots of some of our elected officials and school board members? Do they think the public may not like it when the realization hits that this will happen to most schools with 35% or more free and reduced lunch populations? It really just comes down to when it is your turn.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is freedom. - Thomas Jefferson
No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.