Mother's Day weekend started with a tea with Julia at her school. My guess is that the mother's day tea hosted by the kindergarten teachers is the replacement for the traditional and adorable kindergarten Q and U wedding. I ran late as it is time to play collection agency at school, and I was finishing up getting the lists of library obligations to the administrators. My effort was well rewarded with high-calorie treats and a sweet gift of Julia's "bronzed" shoe to help me remember her when she was small. Julia's teacher recited some poems and scriptures related to mothers and then read Love You Forever. Fortunately, I believe that every mom had read the book already, or I am sure a room full of weeping moms and perplexed five year olds would have ended the fun.
On Sunday I awoke to breakfast in bed. A funny side note...as I mentioned in a previous post, my kids were all about Mother's Day. Wyatt told me his intention for my gift, and Savannah needed me to answer questions for a survey. Suspicious about this "survey," I asked how many people would be surveyed. Just one....hmmm. Anyway the questions pertained to my favorite meals; breakfast, lunch and dinner and my favorite lotions, restaurants, dessert etc. Needless to say the results of the survey were quite evident on mother's day from the moment I awoke to breakfast in bed (courtesy of Savannah and Andy) including homemade french toast and fresh squeezed orange juice. Beautiful homemade cards followed along with candles, shower gel, and lotion in some of my favorite scents. I also received a homemade rain stick with messages from each of the kids along with the Proverbs 31 verse (don't you hate that Proverbs 31 woman?). One little, hilarious glitch occured. Zach can sleep through anything, and the attempts of his siblings to awake him for their Mother's Day surprises were in vain, so they tried the effective ice treatment. I poked my head in his room to give him the 15 minute reminder that we needed to leave for church only to be pelted on the head with an ice cube. Wyatt told Zachary that was not a good Mother's Day gift, and I have to agree. An after church, undisturbed, two hour nap was much needed followed by a lunch or supper (it was 3:00 by that time) of lemon caper chicken followed by homemade cheesecake (a masterpiece of Andy's with the help of Julia).
We then made our way to see Grandma by the lake. Don't get me wrong. My Mother's Day was very special up to that point, but the icing was just about to be put on the cake. My grandma's face lit up when she saw us. Everything else, my heavy heart over that painful letter on Saturday, being able to fill my home with some of my favorite scents, having homemade cheesecake with caramel topping paled in comparison. Grandma then went on to make the day extra special. She has not spoken more than a phrase or two to her visitors in months. When we went to leave, Grandma stated "how sweet!" as each of the kids kissed her goodbye. She then told us she loved us, goodbye, and to come back and see her. Wow!! Does it get any better than this!?
We then paid a visit to my mom. I had seen her Friday night, and she was still in pain from her surgery. On Sunday, she was up and about and looked to be much more comfortable. I must declare this my best Mother's Day ever! Happy belated Mother's Day to all my mom friends!

it does sound like a marvelous day!!! the ice cube incident was funny. :) way to go zack! :)
ReplyDelete