2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Monday, February 15, 2010

a dance, a new year, and a day to celebrate love

One advantage of having our children in separate school systems is that sometimes things work out for us to be at events at both schools. Julia's class had their Valentine's party on Thursday afternoon because they did not have school on Friday, so I was able to join her for her party. The senior class always sells balloons as a fund-raiser, so balloons were in abundance in her classroom, and Julia was so excited to see me there. She grabbed me by the hand and marched me right over to her desk so that she could show off her loot. I had forgotten that in a kindergarten class with only a dozen students, the kids bring in full treat bags for their friends. Julia's little Laffy Taffy valentines seemed a little lame, but who needs all that candy?


On Friday Wyatt's class had their party, so I was able to make it to that one too. Andy planned to surprise me by showing up at the party. He did not tell me that he had Friday off, but I busted him when I sent an e-mail to his work and got his out of office reply. A party for 26 students instead of 12 creates a bit more chaos. Andy said he would teach middle school over 26 first graders any day, so our hats are off to Wyatt's teacher.





On Saturday Wyatt's school hosted a dance, and students could bring someone special. We had a bit of a mix up because we did not get our tickets. I sent the money in on Thursday because school was cancelled for snow on Tuesday and Wednesday, but I did not get a response. I told Wyatt before leaving that we might not be able to stay, and I was tired, so I was really okay with that. However, they were selling tickets at the door, so I bought the tickets and went on to get the biggest kick out of Wyatt's dance moves and his sweet friendship with Abbi.






I think this is the Cha-Cha Slide.




Abbi and Wyatt had a great time jumping on the lights as they moved across the floor. I get such a kick out of the difference in their height. Abbi is tall for a first grader, and Wyatt is short for first grader, so he only comes up to her shoulders.


Wyatt won a dance with his former kindergarten teacher.



The dance was scheduled to raise funds for the basketball and cheer leading teams, and they put a limit on the number of tickets sold. Unfortunately, they only sold about half the tickets that they wanted to sell. I do think that this will be THE EVENT next year as this was the first time they did this. I must add that it was a bargain at $3.00 a person compared to $12.00 a person for Julia's father/daughter dance which is not a fund-raiser.




This picture is random, but it is my attempt to get a picture of Julia's pouty face which she uses on us when she is not getting her way. I must now interject Julia's funny quote of the week. Two snow days last week meant that Zachary, Savannah, and Julia were supposed to go to school today, a day that was originally scheduled off for them. Julia said to me, "we have a make-up day, does that mean we have to wear make-up?" Wouldn't my little glam girl just love that idea?



For the first year since we brought Julia home, we did not celebrate the Chinese New Year with our local Families with Children from China group. It was scheduled on the night that Zachary was supposed to be at the state tournament, and we had so much other stuff going on that we skipped it. Instead, we opted for lunch out at an Asian restaurant on Sunday which happened to be both the Chinese New Year and Valentine's day. Our lunch was very nice except that both the boys ended up not feeling well. We went to an Asian buffet, and I think Wyatt got too exotic, and Zach just got too much. We had fun recounting the days Zachary and Savannah were born and the days we met Wyatt and Julia in China, a very appropriate thing to do on Chinese New Years as they celebrate all birthdays on that day in China. Our server tried to teach me how to say "Happy New Year" in Chinese, but her pronunciation was very different than what I am used to hearing in America, and I am a poor language student. She thanked us for adopting Wyatt and Julia. I think they should be thanked for being such incredible blessings to our family.
After our lunch we came home and did our traditional celebration of Valentine's day. Normally the kids decorate a cake. We opted for cupcakes this year because the cake pan was occupied with an apple crisp that Andy had baked. Along with the chocolates that everyone in the family received, we are in sugarland for sure here.











Of course Zach is too old for this tradition but not to old to enjoy the result.












While I baked cupcakes, Savannah was busy baking pudding filled muffins for a project at school, so we ran late for the next part of our Valentine's celebration. When Savannah's muffins were almost finished, we had a full blown dramatic and scary situation here. Julia suffered a nose bleed like none I have ever seen before. She was supposed to see the doctor today to see if her strep is gone, and after another nose bleed this morning, I definitely want to address this situation with our doctor. However, we have rescheduled the appointment for next week due to the weather, so we will wait.
Fortunately, the bleeding stopped so that we could go to my parent's house and join my sisters, Mom, and sister-in-law in beading bracelets. These bracelets are sold to raise money to beat autism, and we had a ball making them. Some of the guys even got in on the action. We borrowed the kit after Tessa, Tara, and I made them as part of a service project in our Bible study. We had such a great time that night, and I think I am hooked. It is like being part of a quilting bee where women gather to work and chat. Last night was such fun that we stayed so late that I missed one of my very favorite Olympic events (okay it is my favorite) - pairs figure skating.





I ended up buying five bracelets. That is the only down side to this beading. I love bracelets. I bought two purple ones in honor of the color for pancreatic cancer as I continue to pray that God will give us a miracle and cure my mom of this dreadful disease.



So we stayed very late, and Wyatt ended up staying the night as he did not have school today. I was a little concerned about leaving him without any clean clothes as we were supposed to get a big snow last night, and I was afraid he would get stuck. Julia was very disappointed that she did not get to stay too, but she was supposed to have school today. Well, as it turns out, we do have messy roads, and Zach, Savvy, and Julia have the day off. It does appear that Wyatt is stuck. OOPS! He gets pretty spoiled over there, so I am sure he does not mind one bit.

1 comment:

  1. i hope i can rem everything! first of all, to die for pic w/ julia and the balloons. loved pics of you and the kids. the dance sounded like so much FUN and i would have loved to have been there too. ok i'm jealous - your red hearts on top of the cupcakes look better than mine. how do you have ties to autism? GREAT POST! i love them long. :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.