As much as we miss Dad, I think this has been hardest that Savannah was away when he died and had not seen him in months. He never got to ask her in person about campus life. As Father's Day approaches, I have been amused by one thing that we missed with Dad.
During my college days, Dad constantly stayed on me for not taking more hours. He took 18 hours a semester in college and could not understand why I did not. I reminded him frequently that I also had to work - something he did not have to do while in school. Dad racked up some insane number of college hours over his four years. It was a bragging point that he used against me.
Now I think about the hard time Savannah could have given him over all of this. She finished one year of college with 60 hours of credit. Technically, she returns for her second year as a junior. Granted, she had opportunities that Dad and I did not as she completed something like 27 college hours while still in high school with AP credits, dual credits, summer courses, and online courses, but they all count, right?
It's been on my mind lately that we would have had some fun with this at family gatherings. Dad was so proud of his grandkids. One of Tiffany's last conversations with him was about each of them and their gifts and talents.
Grandchildren are the crowning glory of the aged; parents are the pride of their children.
Proverbs 17: 6 NLT
Our sermon on Sunday was about grandparenting, and while it got Andy to thinking about his relationship with his grandparents, it got me to thinking about my children's relationships with their grandparents. It made me think about the kind of grandparent I want to be. As young as I feel, my mom was a grandma by the time she was my age. I know that season will be here before I know it. It was funny that Andy asked yesterday if it is time for us to start placing bets on who will make us grandparents first....um, let's start with which one will marry first. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.