2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Perspective

On Wednesday afternoon I noticed a knocking sound in the van.  It sounded like I had my own percussionist putting on a performance for me.  I determined to find the cause on my own. After some internet cruising, I determined that it might be a belt or a loose screw.  I lifted the head, and sure enough, the belt was frayed.  Andy determined it to be the serpentine belt, and another internet search revealed the price to run around $200.

Just two weeks ago, you might recall, I had $820 in repairs done on the van.  I was upset about this additional repair, but it felt better knowing the price prior to seeing the mechanic.  So I went after work on Thursday to have the belt replaced.  While there I learned that we needed new gasket covers and that it could not wait, another $491.  We decided not to take care of that repair that day as there wasn't time.  Before I left they discovered another $200 in necessary work.  I was so frustrated.  The grand total landed somewhere around $1700 in two weeks.  Every attempt I make at getting an emergency fund going is met with some kind of emergency that blows the fund and the deposits for months and sometimes years into the future.

So I came home and gathered the younger kids and Andy to attend the middle school family picnic, but I can't say I left in a jolly mood ready for fun.  I did, however, calm down once I ran into several friends at the picnic.  It was nice to hang out and just enjoy their company.

Then I came home and heard about the Oregon shootings, and you know $1700 in van repairs seems really insignificant when several families prepare to bury their children or parents over a totally senseless  crime: not to mention the number of people traumatized by witnessing the crime or those left fighting for their lives and facing long recoveries from the injuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.