I am not a proponent of the politically correct movement. For the most part, I think it divides us more than it unites us. However, there is one term that I wish to correct on behalf of adoptive children.
Lately, I have heard a few conversations that go something like this:
"Do you know the such and such family? They do so and so, and they have three children; one adopted and two of "their own." Now I know the intention is to identify the children as adopted or biological in relation to the parents. Truly I have never heard this stated with any ill intent. I do not correct people on this or even get upset though it does make me cringe a bit. I cringe because my four children are all "my own." The sleepless nights when the fever wouldn't budge to medicine tells me so along with the countless times we reviewed spelling words and Bible memory verses together. Those afternoons waiting in carpool and signed permission slips and teacher conferences, and a gazillion hugs and kisses all indicate that all four of them are my own. The mountain of paperwork and fees and travel say my children are my own. They bear the same last name as me and are my heirs.
I am thrilled that God chose to build my family through both biological means and adoption. Both are beautiful. Adoption is an amazing journey. However, adoption is also painful. It starts with loss and pain no matter how well it turns out. I wondered often when John McCain ran for president how his family felt about the press that always referred to his children and then his adopted daughter as a separate child. How do young ears feel about this? I know it is such a little thing, but sometimes little things really matter.
I am a Gentile by birth. Much like my children I do not understand my own adoption into God's family, but I am confident that He calls me His own. I am not somehow separate because of my adoption.
So if you ask me how many children I have, my answer is simple. I have four. I do not qualify how they came to be my children. If we get to know each other better or if you meet them, you will know. Regardless of how they came to be a part of my family, they are my own.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.