Wednesday, February 23, 2011 started as a typical day around here. We all went to work and school. If I remember correctly, Andy came home a bit early, and we all worked on the last minute preparations for the group of five boys who meet in our home on Wednesday nights. Then something happened. It was the kind of thing that makes me think a space alien has taken over one of my children. This time that child would be Zach.
It is no secret to my closest friends that Zach and I struggle to get along. We have some obstacles to overcome to strengthen our relationship. Our biggest obstacles are that we have personality types that clash, and we are both oldest children. Oldest children want to be in control, and their place in the family really does not change that. Maybe this explains some things about my relationship with my dad who is also an oldest child.
Anyway, on that Wednesday night, the boys left, and Zach got mad. The living room was trashed. The boys left plates and cups and spilled food all over. Really, it wasn't all bad, but Zach was not happy. He did a most unusual thing for him. He picked up the mess and then vacuumed the room. I know, I know, you are all wondering how I am even up off the floor all these days later. However, it did not stop there. He did the dishes and straightened and vacuumed the living room yesterday. There was an ulterior motive as he was trying to get me to take him to a music store, but still. He took initiative and helped me out. He did everything I asked of him yesterday. He immediately did the dishes when he got home from school today. Really, what is happening here? He is a fifteen year old boy!!! Who ever heard of such a thing as a fifteen year old boy suddenly becoming so cooperative?
As wonderful as all of this is, the thing I loved most about that Wednesday night was something else Zach did. Julia was a puddle, sobbing on my shoulder over an upcoming business trip for Andy. Zach rubbed her back and said, "Remember when we were in China. You only wanted Dad, but when he wasn't around, you were okay with me. It is the same now, when Dad goes out of town, I am here with you."
Who is this child, and what happened to Zach?
![]() |
| White Swan Hotel 2005 |


Love it!
ReplyDelete