2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

and second grade begins

On Tuesday, August 17th, Wyatt started school.  He awoke on his own and pumped for the day ahead.  When I picked him up after school, I learned the hard way that there are two carpool lines.  2nd graders move up to the big kids carpool...oops.  When asked about his day, Wyatt responded that it was great!  I got nothing more about the day other than that his teacher let him keep the pocketful of acorns he collected on the playground.  Wyatt was excited about the acorns...me, not so much.

I think that Wyatt will have a great year.  His teacher seems super sweet and has just enough experience to be a good teacher but not so much as to be burned out.  Several of his first grade friends join him in this class, and the first grade bully is not in Wyatt's class this year.

The second day of school report brings news that Wyatt has a locker!  How exciting is that for a second grader?!  His prayers have also been answered in the affirmative, as I have taken him to his first night of AWANA.  I am so glad that my pursued little guy wants to pursue our awesome and loving God.





Tuesday also started the new season of gymnastics for Julia.  I was surprised to find more advanced gymnastics taking place in her class when I went to pick her up. On the way home, Julia excitedly told me that they practiced handstands on the balance beam...kind of glad I missed that.  I asked what she thought of doing handstands on the beam and pointed out that she will learn lots of things on the beam such as cartwheels and walkovers as she advances in gymnastics.  Julia's response was something like this:
"Yes, I like it. I was born to do this."
me: What makes you say that?
Julia: You know how I climb door frames and am always on the monkey bars and stuff like that.

You just have to know her to fully appreciate her matter-of-fact and mature tone.  We were late to gymnastics because she tore her hand up on the monkey bars at school.  I knew there was no way she could do any bar or floor work with an open wound on her palm, so we had to bandage it up pretty good.  Julia's coach pointed out that that is just the first of many such injuries to come. oh, joy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.