2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Monday, December 16, 2019

Let Every Heart Prepare Him Room

Christmas season found me in a funk this year.  Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I was working on a family project and was tiring of the process.  I couldn't decorate until said project was complete, and by the time it was complete, I saw no point.  I learned a lesson in this that I hope to remember.

While Christmas always seems to be a challenging time to find the quiet and peace that we all crave, failing to decorate did not change that.  What I found was that when I wasn't preparing my home, I was also neglecting to prepare my heart for this beautiful season.

So last night - yep December 15th- Andy and Julia picked up a tree.  It is drier than a fresh tree should be, and we are trimming it tonight.  It's a smallish tree compared to some of our past selections.  I doubt we will even put half the ornaments on it.  A few shopping trips this weekend combined with pulling out the decorations lightened my heart, and here we are.

I stopped to take a break and let the kids take over.  I jumped on the computer to order a replacement for the ornament that Zach received his senior year.  It broke last year, and the company was sold out when I tried to replace it.  They have upgraded to a newer option with personalization on the front and back, so I added his nickname and the highlights of his senior season and then jumped on the blog.

It's yucky outside here - really yucky, but Christmas music is piping through the kitchen and two of the kids and Andy are in there trimming the tree and chatting about this week's finals. Zach is resting and preparing for another night shift, and I am hoping Savannah fought her way through three essays and a review today and has a clear enough head to prepare for the rest of her finals which take place tomorrow.  While I would love to have her home on Wednesday, I think she should just go ahead and sleep through Friday.  She's had it rough, but the end is in sight.

 My heart is lighter.

PS. And the tree skirt wasn't on the tree for three hours before the little dog peed on it.  UGH! Welcome to the Grizwald's Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.