2 Warriors, 2 Princesses, and My Life as Their Mom

Tuesday, May 28, 2019

He's legal - sort of, almost, maybe


Wyatt passed his driver's permit test today.  He did this after completing the last two finals of his sophomore year.  We don't actually have verification of his legal ability to take the wheel of a car because we could not prove his citizenship.  Wyatt's Certificate of Citizenship is with the Department of State where we are almost four weeks into awaiting a passport card for him.  I have been remiss in this process as we should have pursued a passport for him years ago instead of relying on a certificate that cannot be replaced.  I learned the hard way when we went to apply for his passport that waiting until any child is sixteen to get a passport complicates thing.  They are not quite adults but are able to get adult passports, so the paperwork is a little more cumbersome than if they were younger or if they were older.  Add a foreign birth and an adoption into the mix and it really gets messy.  So needless to say, we have an appointment on Friday to get Julia a new passport.  She has an old one and is not sixteen so this should be easier for us, and we will have less trouble next year when she applies for a driver's permit.


All this research started as I was looking into the Real ID process for my state. In my state the Real ID process for domestic flights has been pushed back again even though our DMV site says it rolled out in March. The reality is that it has been postponed for the umpteenth time to the end of summer.  Savannah's license expired, and she did not get a real ID.  Mine will likely expire before the real ID rolls out, so I am replacing my expired passport with a passport card.  It's a cheaper option that allows me to fly domestically with an easy to carry ID, and I can consider the real ID license option in four years when my license expires again.  I can also still renew my passport to get a book by mail if Andy and I should actually get to take our dream trip to Italy or my dream to return to China with the kids for a heritage tour should be realized.  Neither is on the radar as tuition is sinking us for now.



Wyatt and I had a little celebration since he passed the permit test.  I've been wanting to try a shaved ice place near our home for years.  It did not disappoint.  We will have to pay another visit to this little shack that is not exactly easy to get to.  The Pina Colada flavor is so much better than the actual drink.  Funny story: this is how I learned that Wyatt thought all Pina Colada drinks had alcohol. He was cautious when I took a picture of our snowballs side by side.  He didn't want them to mix since he's under-age.  

Hoping and hoping that next week is the week that Wyatt can actually get his permit.  Our options were to find a certified Chinese translator to translate his original adoption decree or wait out the passport.  We've already had a big delay because I could not find his social security card,  and Wyatt is not concerned about the wait since he does not have to take the test again.  We are awaiting the passport- a bit impatiently (at least I am).


June 17, 2019 Update
We finally have the physical proof that Wyatt can legally drive!!!  WhooHoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.